LF: New Orleans Drummers (MONO LP16)

Besides one track, I don't know. But I'd like to have that track. I have a 1995 paperback discography of Capt. John Handy, the New Orleans alto saxophonist. It lists a 1960 session by the Young Tuxedo Brass Band, with Handy on board. The only tune issued from the session is a version of "Saints," on the MONO LP I'm looking for.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, jeffcrom said:

Besides one track, I don't know. But I'd like to have that track. I have a 1995 paperback discography of Capt. John Handy, the New Orleans alto saxophonist. It lists a 1960 session by the Young Tuxedo Brass Band, with Handy on board. The only tune issued from the session is a version of "Saints," on the MONO LP I'm looking for.

There might be more music issued from that particular session. Riccardo Di Filippo's online jazz encyclopedia lists the MONO album in the Young Tuxedo Brass Band discography

This is the entry:

Andrew Anderson (tp) Bill Matthews, Oscar “Chicken” Henry (tb) John Casimir (cl) Capt. John Handy (as) Jesse Charles (ts) Wilbert Tillman (tu) Alfred Williams (snare-d) Williams Phillip (bass-d)

Just a closer walk with thee / Lead me Saviour / Eternal peace / What a friend we have in Jesus / Nearer my God to thee / What a friend we have in Jesus (alt take) / When the saints go marching in

(MNLP16) New Orleans, Settembre 1960.

And according to another online discograpy the album also comprises a 1962 session by Harold Dejan's Olympia Brass Band.

I'm not an expert in the field (not at all), but I recently read a quite entertaining book on Barry Martyn and his MONO-label and so I was intrigued by your question. 

Not quite the point of this thread, but Ed Blackwell was from New Orleans.

His drumming on the Trane/Cherry Atlantic album is outstanding, including some fine mallet work. Listening to it, I felt sad that so few drummers vary their work and seldom get the sounds that Ed got there. Ding ding-da ding (or, as Prez called it, ricky-tick) is fine, but that is what we mainly hear and we are losing a lot.

I even use mallets on my tumbas. Yes, you are supposed to use your hands, and I do, but the tumbas belong to me, and I will do whatever I like with them. They cost me a staggering price. They are the Giovanni Hidalgo Galaxy tumbas

http://www.lpmusic.com/products/congas/lp/galaxy-giovanni-signature-requinto

which exist as requinto, quinto, conga and tumbadora. Latin Percussion does a super tumba in their "Palladium" range. I have lobbied them to do a Galaxy super tumba, but they don't seem to care. If they did a Galaxy version, that would be the only tumba series in the world with five sizes. (The Palladium range does not include a requinto.)