scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

469 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

IIRC that was on Columbia.  But may be true of Verve too. 

You're right.  I misremembered that release.  

Does anyone know how much Voice of America recorded at Newport?  Their duplicate recording (different mic positioning) when synched allowed Columbia to do a stereo release of the famous Ellington '56 concert.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Desmond set is not something I'd clamor for if it was unavailable, but definitely something I'd get if it was!

That's my favorite Mosaic.

On 4-7-2019 at 10:41 PM, medjuck said:

IIRC that was on Columbia.  But may be true of Verve too. 

Yes it is on Columbia. It has Take the A train, Sophisticated lady, I got it bad and Skin deep by Ellington from July 7,1956 and You can depent on me, In a mellow tone and Newport jump by Buck Clayton, J.J. Johnson, Coleman Hawkins, Dick Katz, Benny Moten and Gus Johnson on July 6, 1956. Newport Jump was included in the Happy birthday Newport cd set.

While i agree that a set of all the Granz-produced Newport recordings from the late 50s would make a cool box, Sony's recent decision not to lease material probably puts the kibosh on that. I'm still wondering if Mosaic's planned Armstrong 50s Columbia studio set will appear.

gregmo

1 minute ago, gmonahan said:

While i agree that a set of all the Granz-produced Newport recordings from the late 50s would make a cool box, Sony's recent decision not to lease material probably puts the kibosh on that. I'm still wondering if Mosaic's planned Armstrong 50s Columbia studio set will appear.

gregmo

On 7/4/2019 at 4:41 PM, medjuck said:

Does Sony own the Verve material now?  I thought it was Universal....  So many labels, so few owners.  Sigh.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Does Sony own the Verve material now?  I thought it was Universal....  So many labels, so few owners.  Sigh.

I was talking about the Columbia Newport stuff (but, of course, Granz probably didn't produce any of that, did he?!). Universal still owns the Verve material, so I guess that box could happen, though how much of it survived the big fire is an open question.

gregmo

Edited by gmonahan

8 hours ago, gmonahan said:

gregmo

I don't know what to make of what we know about the "decision" by Sony. Mobile Fidelity just released "Monk's Dream" and "Mingus Ah Um" and they aren't alone. It seems that there may be some who will not receive licensing opportunities from Sony and others who do. Where Mosaic fits in that I don't know. My guess is that if Mosaic had gotten as far as it has with the Armstrong material that it is allowed and will appear. Just a guess.

Boyd Raeburn airchecks...there seems to have been a nightly-ish 15 minute remote from the band's residency at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco from June-August of 1945. That is recognized as a pivotal point for the band, as it covers the departure of Johnny Bothwell and the return of George Handy. I think the band with Bothwell swung like a motherfucker, but that's not to say that they stopped swinging after he left, just that Handy's new charts were not necessarily written to emphasize swinging as their top priority.

Anyway, not knowing what exists, or what condition it's in, a chronologically presented set of these nightly remotes @ 15 minutes a shot, smartly annotated and documented, sounds like a project for somebody so inclined, empowered, and endowed.

It's extremely difficult to clear the rights for air checks.  Your best bet is to get a European semi-bootlegger to do it. 

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

It's extremely difficult to clear the rights for air checks.  Your best bet is to get a European semi-bootlegger to do it. 

I never thought about the issue but who owns the rights to airchecks? The station from which it originated, the location (e.g., a club) or the person who recorded the air check.  I'd assume the first but don't really know. Would you mind asking your son. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I never thought about the issue but who owns the rights to airchecks? The station from which it originated, the location (e.g., a club) or the person who recorded the air check.  I'd assume the first but don't really know. Would you mind asking your son. 

It's not ownership, it's payments to musicians. At least that's whom the  National Jazz Museum of Harlem had to deal with for the Savory Collection though now that I say that, the Boyd Raeburn estate would probably be easier to deal with than the Goodman, Dorsey, Ellington and Calloway estates have been so far. 

Edited by medjuck

34 minutes ago, medjuck said:

It's not ownership, it's payments to musicians. At least that's whom the  National Jazz Museum of Harlem had to deal with for the Savory Collection though now that I say that, the Boyd Raeburn estate would probably be easier to deal with than the Goodman, Dorsey, Ellington and Calloway estates have been so far. 

Thanks but wouldn’t it be ownership also.  If NBC broadcast the Count Basie Orchestra, I’m assuming that NBC paid for these rights and therefore owned the over the air rights. If someone recorded the performance and then sought to commercialize the air checks, I’d think they’d have to talk to NBC as well as Count Basie. I really don’t know the answer. Just thinking out loud. 

14 hours ago, Brad said:

Thanks but wouldn’t it be ownership also.  If NBC broadcast the Count Basie Orchestra, I’m assuming that NBC paid for these rights and therefore owned the over the air rights. If someone recorded the performance and then sought to commercialize the air checks, I’d think they’d have to talk to NBC as well as Count Basie. I really don’t know the answer. Just thinking out loud. 

There might be a diffrence between NBC making the recording and a fan recording the broadcast of the air at home. Just thinking out loud.

5 hours ago, miles65 said:

There might be a diffrence between NBC making the recording and a fan recording the broadcast of the air at home. Just thinking out loud.

Making the recording for personal use should be fine but then making for sale, I'm not sure.   It's akin to the fair use doctrine in copyright. 

On 7/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, jazzbo said:

I don't know what to make of what we know about the "decision" by Sony. Mobile Fidelity just released "Monk's Dream" and "Mingus Ah Um" and they aren't alone. It seems that there may be some who will not receive licensing opportunities from Sony and others who do. Where Mosaic fits in that I don't know. My guess is that if Mosaic had gotten as far as it has with the Armstrong material that it is allowed and will appear. Just a guess.

To corroborate, this just appeared on Amazon.  Released by Ace, release date August 14:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Rockabilly-Vol-2-Various/dp/B00005207S/ref=sr_1_147?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1562708127&refinements=p_n_date%3A1249114011&rnid=1249111011&s=music&sr=1-147

61%2BCOe6YgWL.jpg61ZTO3njbUL.jpg

I'm thinking that it takes a while from the time a leasing deal is signed until the product hits the market, and I'm sure that any existing deals for product not yet brought to market will be honored to completion.

The set I put together this week, probably suggested by a foum contributor, is The Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land recordings.  So far I have over six hours of material compiled. 

45 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

The set I put together this week, probably suggested by a foum contributor, is The Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land recordings.  So far I have over six hours of material compiled. 

I actually suggested that to Mosaic several years ago, and they said they were trying to work on it, but that the cross-licensing was difficult.  I've given up hope of seeing it.  Size would be more manageable if they skipped the Blue Notes, which have been widely available.  That leaves the Land dates on Cadet and Mainstream and Muse, the live cut on ENJA, and I'm not sure what else.

4 hours ago, felser said:

Size would be more manageable if they skipped the Blue Notes

This would have been a good idea, but, as ever marching to the beat of a questionable drum, I not only included the Blue Note material, but also the three lp's with Gerald Wilson and a Donald Byrd.  It's closing in on 12 hours of material....