scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

469 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One of the more fascinating things about this interview was the worry that Alfred had about costs, especially the part about transitioning from 78s and to 10 inch LPs and the additional costs that would be involved.  As fans, many of us don't think about that aspect of the business.  

Lon, thanks very much for posting this :tup

Edited by Brad

15 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Me too. Though I've gradually begun to find those missing tracks, at my age I'm worried death will find me before I find the rest of them.   BTW Aren't there also a couple of tracks from a label called "Hits of the Week" or something like that?-- I'm travelling and away from my cds and reference books.  I think at least some of those tracks are on the Naxos Duke series. 

The HotW titles are not controlled by Sony AFAIK. That is what I was going for. Other early titles are on Blu-disc and Gennett.

10 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Good luck to all of you! :ph34r::shrug[1]:

It'll take a lot more than luck.  If Mosaic's financial situation is as shaky as it seems, offering anything that doesn't have the potential for moving 5,000 units reasonably quickly isn't going to happen.

For me: 

- The Complete African Records by Abdullah Ibrahim. So all the work he made for the South African label ‘The Sun’ including the works with Kippie Moeketsi and Basil Coetzee. Got most of that stuff on the Camden compilations now but it definitely deserves better.

I would be interested in a box of Luis Bonfa or Baden Powell.

But Mosaic's custom of issuing seven CDs at a time is more music by one guy than I want.

Thanks for that interview, Lon!

From reading past comments on Bill Barron, everyone here should contact Mosaic directly to make there voices heard. I certainly would be interested if they could put this collection together. I'd be willing to shoot off an email and add my voice.

8 hours ago, Dave James said:

It'll take a lot more than luck.  If Mosaic's financial situation is as shaky as it seems, offering anything that doesn't have the potential for moving 5,000 units reasonably quickly isn't going to happen.

Agreed. Appears to me that Mosaic basically no longer wants to carry inventory. So suggesting increasingly exotic/niche sets would be unlikely to get anywhere. The Feb. 20 Mobley e-mail suggests 750 pre-orders as a threshold.

Thanks for posting the Cuscuna interview, Lon. Lots of interesting information there. (Though I still can't listen to Far Away Lands. Just sounds mediocre to me.)

5 hours ago, Pim said:

For me: 

- The Complete African Records by Abdullah Ibrahim. So all the work he made for the South African label ‘The Sun’ including the works with Kippie Moeketsi and Basil Coetzee. Got most of that stuff on the Camden compilations now but it definitely deserves better.

+1.  Simply great.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Agreed. Appears to me that Mosaic basically no longer wants to carry inventory. So suggesting increasingly exotic/niche sets would be unlikely to get anywhere. The Feb. 20 Mobley e-mail suggests 750 pre-orders as a threshold.

I think it's an interesting choice but most of it has been available for some time.  Maybe better audio?  I'm always down for that.  

21 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Good luck to all of you! :ph34r::shrug[1]:

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

I've gone and ordered the Mobley set. We have to do our part, where we can. 

Was daydreaming of a set compiling this group`s live recordings (as realistically the studio HORO date will remain out of reach .... forever ?) ....

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Was daydreaming of a set compiling this group`s live recordings (as realistically the studio HORO date will remain out of reach .... forever ?) ....

Yes, that would be a dream set, the Denon and Viktor titles along with the HORO "Loadstar" date. 

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Yes, that set would be a dream come true.  The

19 hours ago, gmonahan said:

These are all owned by Sony, right? Since they've said they're not going to lease their stuff to other labels, I don't think we'll see any of this anytime soon.

gregmo

Interestingly, 

24 minutes ago, Brad said:

I've gone and ordered the Mobley set. We have to do our part, where we can. 

I did my part with the Bee Hive box (only about 1/3rd of which I was super interested in). But I thInk I already have every last track from the Mobley 60's box - already on CD.

I'm glad to take chances (and vote yes with my pocketbook) on almost any box they want to sell on two conditions: 1960's material (or later), and I can't already have all or practically all of it on CD already.

52 minutes ago, Brad said:

We have to do our part, where we can. 

No, uh-uh, don't think so, sorry. I will do my part by buying what I want when they offer it. They can do THEIR part by selling something I want to buy.

They're a business, not the fucking Red Cross.

They will probably just do a few more Woody Herman sets then close up shop.

28 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I did my part with the Bee Hive box (only about 1/3rd of which I was super interested in). But I thInk I already have every last track from the Mobley 60's box - already on CD.

I'm glad to take chances (and vote yes with my pocketbook) on almost any box they want to sell on two conditions: 1960's material (or later), and I can't already have all or practically all of it on CD already.

I uunderstand that and I have almost all of it; a couple are cdrs. Maybe there are some who weren't able to purchase the original albums when they were issued on cd or maybe new to jazz or Hank who will now be able to purchase his records.  

Just now, JSngry said:

No, uh-uh, don't think so, sorry. I will do my part by buying what I want when they offer it. They can do THEIR part by selling something I want to buy.

I get that too but I want to make there is still a business. 

I want to make sure there is still a business to offer products that I desire. It's looking less and less like Mosaic is going to be that, so....their move(s).

Their new Mobley set, yeah, I "want" it, but I'm not preordering it. This last Herman thing, nope. Teddy Wilson? Unlikely. Louis Armstrong? Sorry Pops. Anything Blue Note? Aw hell no, I done bought it once. More Binglerosey? HELL no.

I'm doing my part (as best I can) by staying employed and budgeting some disposable income, so, yeah, their move now. I know they gotta sell what people will buy, but that does not translate to me having to buy what they sell.

Mosaic is a business, yes, but it is also a labor of love. Do we sometimes need to pay that back by being loving customers and not just part of the "market"? I'm not sure, but it's something I've been thinking of. And I am too not sure I will get that new Mobley set because I have what I want already. 

I've been paying back that love since Day 1. And the love has always been paid back, the trust was rewarded. Now? Not sure.

To be sure, I'm not the determiner of their market, never have been. But I've always felt like I was included in their overall mission. Chet Baker, Art Hodes, not for me at that time, but no worries, here comes Ike Quebec & Herbie Nichols. Eddie Condon, no, Cecil Taylor, yes. Joe Pass, pass, Henry Threadgill, all in. Etc.

Just saying, even with the new Mobley, I'm not sure that I'm the customer type they're looking to hold on to going forth. We'll see,

I don't know how popular it would be but I'd love to see The Complete Red Garland on Galaxy since some of those sessions haven't made it to CD.

There are BN sets that still need done such as Freddie Roach but I'm not holding my breath.

The only way I'd get FR on BN is if it included the unissued session.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Spot on ....

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

+1. Strongly worded, but that's what it'll ultimately come down to. I have limited recordings budget, and it's hard to justify the expense of big 8+-CD sets (e.g. Savoy, Beehive, forthcoming Mobley) when I really want/need less than half of the individual discs. Releases like the Clifford Jordan Strata-East (take a chance on something new when underlying quality is assured) are my personal preference, but I see less room for such going forward. Still on the fence re. Mobley 2.

Edited by T.D.

Give me more tantalizing releases like Sam Rivers' Florida big band 'Select' -- and I'd pay a bit of a premium actually (maybe $20/disc).  Not that opportunities like that abound, I realize...

...but are there any unreleased Billy Harper live sets from the 70's in the can somewhere?  Or already mentioned, but all those Max Roach quartet dates with Billy Harper -- damn, I'd probably pay $25/disc for a set of those.