scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

541 posts in this topic

Gary Burton.  I know we've often suggested a box set of his RCA recordings, but how about one of his ECMs?  Dates in a great variety of styles, a who's who of sidemen, and many of these albums are currently either out of print or only available on downloads.  I know Mosaic has never done an ECM box, but maybe Cuscuna should float the idea with Eicher; he might get a kick out of it.  16 albums are probably a lot, so remove the Corea duets (Crystal Silence, Duet, Zurich) which have their own ECM box.  The albums are:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, mjzee said:

Gary Burton.  I know we've often suggested a box set of his RCA recordings, but how about one of his ECMs?  Dates in a great variety of styles, a who's who of sidemen, and many of these albums are currently either out of print or only available on downloads.  I know Mosaic has never done an ECM box, but maybe Cuscuna should float the idea with Eicher; he might get a kick out of it.  16 albums are probably a lot, so remove the Corea duets (Crystal Silence, Duet, Zurich) which have their own ECM box.  The albums are:

Burton's ECM-recordings constitute an interesting body of work but I don't think Cuscuna would consider an ECM-set for his label. Even when given the opportunity. My impression is that's just not where his heart is.

Personally I would like to see Mosaic release a set of Lou Donaldson's mid-1960s Argo/Cadet-albums.

Edited by Mark13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mjzee said:

Gary Burton.  I know we've often suggested a box set of his RCA recordings, but how about one of his ECMs?  Dates in a great variety of styles, a who's who of sidemen, and many of these albums are currently either out of print or only available on downloads.  I know Mosaic has never done an ECM box, but maybe Cuscuna should float the idea with Eicher; he might get a kick out of it.  16 albums are probably a lot, so remove the Corea duets (Crystal Silence, Duet, Zurich) which have their own ECM box.  The albums are:

Surely Eicher would just do it himself if he thought there was any mileage. If they do ECM box their artists over smaller selections generally, 4/5 albums unless it's AEOC+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ECM seems to be going full tilt into high res streaming/downloads in terms of reissues, as they just did with their Metheny catalog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier on this thread, I recommended that Mosaic release a complete Revelation recordings of Warne Marsh, given that the vast majority of these recordings have still not seen the light of day.   I just noticed in the Jack Goodwin Warne Marsh discography a comment that all of the complete tracks that Peter Ind recorded at the Half Note in 1959 with Bill Evans, Warne Marsh, Lee Konitz, Jimmy Garrison, and Paul Motian circulate among collectors.  Many of the Warne Marsh solos alone were released on LPs by Revelation as The Art of Improvising 1&2, but never appeared on CD.  Verve issued a two CD set of complete tracks (Lee Konitz Live at the Half Note) that is not even half of the music was recorded at the gig.   I propose that Mosaic issue the complete recordings, which would probably take 5-6 CDs.    It would be commercially viable too, as they could advertise a lot of previously unreleased Bill Evans along with Marsh and Kontitz.   What do you think, Mosaic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, John L said:

Earlier on this thread, I recommended that Mosaic release a complete Revelation recordings of Warne Marsh, given that the vast majority of these recordings have still not seen the light of day.   I just noticed in the Jack Goodwin Warne Marsh discography a comment that all of the complete tracks that Peter Ind recorded at the Half Note in 1959 with Bill Evans, Warne Marsh, Lee Konitz, Jimmy Garrison, and Paul Motian circulate among collectors.  Many of the Warne Marsh solos alone were released on LPs by Revelation as The Art of Improvising 1&2, but never appeared on CD.  Verve issued a two CD set of complete tracks (Lee Konitz Live at the Half Note) that is not even half of the music was recorded at the gig.   I propose that Mosaic issue the complete recordings, which would probably take 5-6 CDs.    It would be commercially viable too, as they could advertise a lot of previously unreleased Bill Evans along with Marsh and Kontitz.   What do you think, Mosaic?

I am not Mosaic, but if I were, I would approve this message!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mosaic is between a rock and a hard place.  Their's is a balancing act that will 1) ensure their continuing existence and 2) still satisfy their core constituency.  Artists well known to the general public (Armstrong, Basie, Ellington) will appease the former while an artist like Warne Marsh will gladden the latter.  That's a tough row to hoe.  Most of us would love to hear the Marsh sides accorded the Mosaic treatment, but can you see enough copies to justify the cost?  There was a time when Cuscuna could take a chance on guys like Tina Brooks or Freddie Redd, but those times are thirty years gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Mosaic is between a rock and a hard place.  Their's is a balancing act that will 1) ensure their continuing existence and 2) still satisfy their core constituency.  Artists well known to the general public (Armstrong, Basie, Ellington) will appease the former...

Uh, Basie? Yeah!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everyone giving advice to Mosaic should start their own re-issue record company. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dave James said:

Mosaic is between a rock and a hard place.  Their's is a balancing act that will 1) ensure their continuing existence and 2) still satisfy their core constituency.  Artists well known to the general public (Armstrong, Basie, Ellington) will appease the former while an artist like Warne Marsh will gladden the latter.  That's a tough row to hoe.  Most of us would love to hear the Marsh sides accorded the Mosaic treatment, but can you see enough copies to justify the cost?  There was a time when Cuscuna could take a chance on guys like Tina Brooks or Freddie Redd, but those times are thirty years gone.

That is precisely why I chose this group of recordings.  Wouldn't hours of unheard Bill Evans from 1959 give this set real commercial potential?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may depend on who owns the rights and how easy/difficult it may be to obtain a license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went trough the whole thread and made a selection of the more interesting suggestions (in my opinion of course):

Abdullah Ibrahim - The Complete African Recordings

Bill Barron - Mosaic Select

Billy Harper - Complete ’70’s Leader Sessions

Cal Tjader - Complete Verve Recordings

Chico Freeman -  Mosaic Select (India Navigation)

Chico Hamilton - Complete Impulse! Recordings

David Murray - Mosaic Select (India Navigation)

Freddie Roach - The Complete Blue Note Recordings

Gary Burton - Complete ECM Recordings

Hamiett Bluiett - Mosaic Select (India Navigation)

Harold Land - The Complete Muse, Mainstream and Cadet Recordings

Kenny Burrell - The Complete Kenny Burrell on Verve

Mal Waldron - The Complete Japanese Victor and JAPO Recordings

Max Roach - The Complete Quartet Recordings with Billy Harper and Cecil Bridgewater

Red Garland - The Complete Galaxy Recordings

Sonny Stitt - Complete Cobblestone and Muse Recordings

Various - The Complete Savoy Sessions Produced by Bill Dixon

Warne Marsh - The Complete Revelation Recordings

 

DIW Records:  The Classic Piano Recordings 

 

So you guys from Mosaic, are you paying attention? Make a pick and announce the good news!!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reference to Pim’s list, the first ones you’d have to eliminate are the Selects since Mosaic doesn’t make those anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be nice to have all the stray Lucky Thompson leader dates from the 50s and 60s in one collection... the various overseas recordings, the ABC-Paramount stuff, ACCENT ON TENOR SAX, etc. Probably not doable, but Lucky is a mjor figure who deserves Mosaic treatment. 

Same goes for Don Byas, whose most important work is currently scattered across a variety of chop-shop compilations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Joe said:

I would be nice to have all the stray Lucky Thompson leader dates from the 50s and 60s in one collection... the various overseas recordings, the ABC-Paramount stuff, ACCENT ON TENOR SAX, etc. Probably not doable, but Lucky is a mjor figure who deserves Mosaic treatment. 

Same goes for Don Byas, whose most important work is currently scattered across a variety of chop-shop compilations. 

There were conversations about a Lucky Thompson box with the ABC-Paramount and other material.  Ultimately, these did not come to fruition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Brad said:

In reference to Pim’s list, the first ones you’d have to eliminate are the Selects since Mosaic doesn’t make those anymore. 

They will immediate start it up again after reading this :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pim said:

They will immediate start it up again after reading this :P

I admire your confidence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, medjuck said:

I think everyone giving advice to Mosaic should start their own re-issue record company. 

Hell no. I'm already broke as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One realistic set that might sell would be the complete Lionel Hampton Deccas from, what, '42-50? You could add the MGM Big Band sides on about 1 1/2 more cds. Scott likes the earlier stuff. 

 

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gmonahan said:

One realistic set that might sell would be the complete Lionel Hampton Deccas from, what, '42-50? You could add the MGM Big Band sides on about 1 1/2 more cds. Scott likes the earlier stuff. 

 

 

 

gregmo

A quick count: Decca/MGM 1941-1951 resulted in 159 titels plus 2 alternate takes. That would fit on 7 CD’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gmonahan said:

One realistic set that might sell would be the complete Lionel Hampton Deccas from, what, '42-50? You could add the MGM Big Band sides on about 1 1/2 more cds. Scott likes the earlier stuff. 

 

 

 

gregmo

I couldn't agree more! There would be so much to like about a set like this:  a motherlode of Arnett Cobb as well as apprearances by Dodo Marmarosa, Charles Mingus, Wes Montgomery and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggested that years ago and would definitely buy a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, Pim said:

Went trough the whole thread and made a selection of the more interesting suggestions (in my opinion of course):

Abdullah Ibrahim - The Complete African Recordings

Bill Barron - Mosaic Select

Billy Harper - Complete ’70’s Leader Sessions

Cal Tjader - Complete Verve Recordings

Chico Freeman -  Mosaic Select (India Navigation)

Chico Hamilton - Complete Impulse! Recordings

David Murray - Mosaic Select (India Navigation)

Freddie Roach - The Complete Blue Note Recordings

Gary Burton - Complete ECM Recordings

Hamiett Bluiett - Mosaic Select (India Navigation)

Harold Land - The Complete Muse, Mainstream and Cadet Recordings

Kenny Burrell - The Complete Kenny Burrell on Verve

Mal Waldron - The Complete Japanese Victor and JAPO Recordings

Max Roach - The Complete Quartet Recordings with Billy Harper and Cecil Bridgewater

Red Garland - The Complete Galaxy Recordings

Sonny Stitt - Complete Cobblestone and Muse Recordings

Various - The Complete Savoy Sessions Produced by Bill Dixon

Warne Marsh - The Complete Revelation Recordings

 

DIW Records:  The Classic Piano Recordings 

 

So you guys from Mosaic, are you paying attention? Make a pick and announce the good news!!!!

 

 

I'd buy the Freddie Roach, but only if it included the rejected session where he does King of the Road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I'd buy the Freddie Roach, but only if it included the rejected session where he does King of the Road.

I suggested a Freddie Roach Mosaic Select (5 BN releases would have been perfect for a Select) to Michael C back in the 2000s - his reply was "it wouldn't sell"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freddie Roach made three very interesting reocrpd for Prestige that would combine both the Blue Notes for a pretty impressive overview of this scope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.