scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

649 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2020 at 10:41 AM, JSngry said:

Nor is Bill Barron expecting us.

But, you know, destiny and all that.

barron.jpg

Oh, but not just Savoy, that's "not enough for a set"...but there IS enough for a set past "just" those.

and actually, a set that combined the Savoy + the Muse would be excellent, and one that included some or all of those off-brand labels in between would be exquisite.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Oh, but not just Savoy, that's "not enough for a set"...but there IS enough for a set past "just" those.

and actually, a set that combined the Savoy + the Muse would be excellent, and one that included some or all of those off-brand labels in between would be exquisite.

You could also add in the Ted Curson albums with Barron.

yes you could

I've been on a Gary Bartz kick lately and I'd be in for a Complete Milestone and Prestige box.  The previous CD's omitted "Etoiles Des Neiges" from Follow The Medicine Man, "Du (Rain)" from Taifa, "Disjunction" from Libra and "Sifa Zote" was edited on the I've Known Rivers and Other Bodies reissue.  Also, Home! has never been reissued which is crazy.  

On 4/23/2021 at 0:25 PM, dougcrates said:

I've been on a Gary Bartz kick lately and I'd be in for a Complete Milestone and Prestige box.  The previous CD's omitted "Etoiles Des Neiges" from Follow The Medicine Man, "Du (Rain)" from Taifa, "Disjunction" from Libra and "Sifa Zote" was edited on the I've Known Rivers and Other Bodies reissue.  Also, Home! has never been reissued which is crazy.  

I'm ready to pre-order!

1 hour ago, felser said:

I'm ready to pre-order!

right behind you!

On 4/23/2021 at 0:25 PM, dougcrates said:

If Gary got some money from that, he'd be behind it 100%. Gary told me in no uncertain terms that he hasn't made anything off of his Milestone & Prestige recordings, going so far as to tell me to download them from websites that give it away. He doesn't get any money either way.

While listeniing to a Wild Bill Davis CD this afternoon I couldn't help but think of a Mosaic set of his complete sessions for Okeh and Epic. I think he is under-recognized - to me he sounds like Ellington on Hammond organ!

On 4/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, mikeweil said:

While listeniing to a Wild Bill Davis CD this afternoon I couldn't help but think of a Mosaic set of his complete sessions for Okeh and Epic. I think he is under-recognized - to me he sounds like Ellington on Hammond organ!

Love Wild Bill, especially his albums with Hodges on RCA and Verve from the 60s!

gregmo

The Complete Muse Ricky Ford Sessions.

On 26.4.2021 at 5:33 PM, mjazzg said:

right behind you!

Count me in.

On 26.4.2021 at 5:54 PM, bresna said:

If Gary got some money from that, he'd be behind it 100%. Gary told me in no uncertain terms that he hasn't made anything off of his Milestone & Prestige recordings, going so far as to tell me to download them from websites that give it away. He doesn't get any money either way.

What a shame!

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see a set with all of Yusef Lateef's Savoy-recordings. Not likely that it will ever happen because there are only 7 albums (6,5 rather - one is split with A.K. Salim), but I don't have any of them. Not even on CD..

Maybe Lateef's sole Verve-effort 'Before Dawn' could be included to have a larger set, but if Mosaic were to choose a one-album-per-CD approach for the Savoy-material only (a bit similar to the Clifford Jordan Strata East-set), I would be just fine with that.

Edited by Mark13

All that material is excellent--I have it all and still would love to see it on a Mosaic set, good recommendation Mark.

16 minutes ago, Mark13 said:

I'd like to see a set with all of Yusef Lateef's Savoy-recordings. Not likely that it will ever happen because there's only 7 albums (6,5 rather - one is split with A.K. Salim), but I don't have any of them. Not even on CD..

Maybe Lateef's sole Verve-effort 'Before Dawn' could be included to have a larger set, but if Mosaic were to choose a one-album-per-CD approach for the Savoy-material only (a bit similar to the Clifford Jordan Strata East-set), I would be just fine with that.

You also have the live album on Argo available, plus all those Prestige sessions (Concord certainly won't be doing anything with them), so you could make a big box set, but it's all been out on CD before, so not sure how much market there would be for it.  Not going to sell like a Blue Note box.

If Mosaic is going to re-package Blue Note titles under one artist, then it seems like a Herbie Hancock set would be a no-brainer.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, felser said:

You also have the live album on Argo available, plus all those Prestige sessions (Concord certainly won't be doing anything with them), so you could make a big box set, but it's all been out on CD before, so not sure how much market there would be for it.  Not going to sell like a Blue Note box.

Not all the Savoy sides have been out officially though if I'm not mistaken. They could follow the Henderson model and include a handful of sideman appearances with Fuller etc. perhaps to flesh it out. 

And they should jump on that right away and connect it to the not new Henderson box set with the Detroit connection, both Henderson and Lateef being fellow college students together, etc. :) I swear I was listening to the Henderson set this morning and for the first time I notice strong "Lateef-isms" within a few of the Henderson solos. . . . 

Edited by jazzbo

May as well collect all the Horace Silver Blue Note titles as well. That might be a fairly large set.

21 minutes ago, Late said:

May as well collect all the Horace Silver Blue Note titles as well. That might be a fairly large set.

No, you don't want all of them @ $17 a disc!  For instance:

Silver 'n Voices - Wikipedia

4 minutes ago, felser said:

No, you don't want all of them ...

(True.)

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Late said:

If Mosaic is going to re-package Blue Note titles under one artist, then it seems like a Herbie Hancock set would be a no-brainer.

Hard to top this, one of the most beautiful box sets ever:

Herbie Hancock The Complete Blue Note Sixties Sessions US 6-CD album set  (538313)

And the corresponding Dexter Gordon is also wonderful:

Dexter Gordon: The Complete Blue Note Sixties Sessions (6-CD set) | eBay

39 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Not all the Savoy sides have been out officially though if I'm not mistaken.

You're probably right.  I have this and this, which I believe covers all of his Savoy recordings, but the first doesn't count as "official" in these parts.

R-6548221-1594203493-8988.jpeg.jpg

Yusef Lateef – The Last Savoy Sessions (2002, CD) - Discogs

Edited by felser

Posted (edited)

How about: The Complete Johnny Griffin Galaxy Sessions?

It would consist of:

Nat Adderley - A Little New York Midtown Music

Johnny Griffin - Return Of The Griffin

Johnny Griffin - Bush Dance

The 2 tracks (4 takes total) from Birds And Ballads/5 Birds And A Monk

Johnny Griffin - NYC Underground (note: this is a live session, so there's probably more unissued material)

Johnny Griffin - To The Ladies

Johnny Griffin - Call It Whatchawana

Edited by mjzee

Someone suggested elsewhere a box set of selected RCA Living Stereo big band sessions. Due to the rapidly shrinking customer base that is unlikely to ever occur, but it would be a nice listen. . .these Living Stereo tapes are some great sounding recordings.

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Someone suggested elsewhere a box set of selected RCA Living Stereo big band sessions. Due to the rapidly shrinking customer base that is unlikely to ever occur, but it would be a nice listen. . .these Living Stereo tapes are some great sounding recordings.

Well, all of the RCA Esquivel albums have already been reissued, and it doesn't really get any better than that. 

But if your proposed box set includes Dennis Farnon's Caution: Men Swinging, Marty Gold's Skin Tight, Bernie Green's Futura, Ray Martin's Dynamica, Skip Martin's Mike Hammer, Stanley Wilson's M Squad, and anything by Dick Schory, I would spring for this, even if the cover art demonstrated Mosaic's typical lack of imagination.

It would also be nice if they could find a clean stereo tape of Mancini's Peter Gunn, before it was drenched in reverb.

Edited by Teasing the Korean