scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

778 posts in this topic

Moers might be contentious, like BYG Actuel...not sure that everybody got paid correctly? That's the "rumor" anyway?

But yes, that label was impactful while it lasted. And collecting it is more difficult that the music deserves.

I went through the entire thread and was surprised nobody mentioned the Xanadu label. I realize Zev Feldman owns the rights. When Elemental Music reissued a bunch of titles some years back, I contacted him inquiring if there would be any future releases. His answer was no. I'd love to see some of those titles which never made it on cd reissued. Sam Noto? Maybe something comparable to the Beehive set? Just wishing.

11 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

I'd love to see some of those titles which never made it on cd reissued. Sam Noto?

That would be nice. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe Feldman himself wrote it) that the remainder of the Xandau catalog that didn't make it to compact disc suffered irreversible water damage from a flood. My favorite Xanadu session, Al Cohn's America, must have been one of the victims.

Back in the day, eMusic had a fair selection of Xanadu titles for download. They were vinyl rips, but good vinyl rips. That's how I collected all four Sam Noto-led titles. I think there were only four: Act One, Entrance!, Notes To You, and Noto-Riety. My first exposure to Joe Romano on tenor.

Just bumped up the Noto thread in the Artists forum. I guess I first heard Romano on a Gus Mancuso record ... and not a Noto record. :wacko:

Wasn’t it Hurricane Katrina that caused the damage to the Xanadu tapes?

I think I have most of those Sam Noto LPs on vinyl and will have to dig them out. Remember seeing him in the trumpet section of Dave McMurdo’s Orchestra many years back, where he was a featured trumpet soloist.

16 hours ago, Late said:

That would be nice. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe Feldman himself wrote it) that the remainder of the Xandau catalog that didn't make it to compact disc suffered irreversible water damage from a flood. My favorite Xanadu session, Al Cohn's America, must have been one of the victims.

That's a damn shame. 

Even if the tapes were destroyed, is it not possible to make copies of the LPs for a set. I realize it may not sound as good as the original tapes but it’s better than nothing. Notwithstanding, are there too many LPs for a set? Discogs lists over 300 whereas Bee Hive was less than 30. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Even if the tapes were destroyed, is it not possible to make copies of the LPs for a set. I realize it may not sound as good as the original tapes but it’s better than nothing. Notwithstanding, are there too many LPs for a set? Discogs lists over 300 whereas Bee Hive was less than 30. 

I vaguely remember that thirty years ago there was a computer program called a "de-clicker."

As I recall, it didn't catch on.  Didn't it work?

14 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I vaguely remember that thirty years ago there was a computer program called a "de-clicker."

As I recall, it didn't catch on.  Didn't it work?

If you're thinking about ClickRepair, I thought it worked very well. I bet that it didn't catch on because it was a program written by a college kid that he sold himself. If some audio company had bought it, it might more readily available. It is still out there: https://clickrepair.en.softonic.com/ I don't how much it costs these days and I doubt my old license (if I could even find it) is still valid.

I feel that Mosaic (actually) could put together a set of the Classic Bob Crosby and His Orchestra featuring the Bob Cats.  On the negative side, I have no idea if there is any interest in such an endeavor.  On the positive side, Chronological Classics did not issue any of their material nor has much anyone else.  A set of this type would collect some great work by Yank Lawson, Billy Butterfield, Jess Stacy, Joe Sullivan, Muggsy Spanier, and Matty Matlock. 

Some of these sides have been out on cd on Swaggie and Fat Boy. Not sure how much of an interest there might be. But I'd buy a set!

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I feel that Mosaic (actually) could put together a set of the Classic Bob Crosby and His Orchestra featuring the Bob Cats.  On the negative side, I have no idea if there is any interest in such an endeavor.  On the positive side, Chronological Classics did not issue any of their material nor has much anyone else.  A set of this type would collect some great work by Yank Lawson, Billy Butterfield, Jess Stacy, Joe Sullivan, Muggsy Spanier, and Matty Matlock. 

Iirc Scott Wenzel has indeed mentioned the possibility of some kind of set like this in the past… but I’m not sure it’s ever gotten to the drawing-board stage. You should call Mosaic and ask him about it! I’d buy.

Edited by ghost of miles

I’m not sure either how much interest there would be a Bob Crosby set.  I would have no interest in such a set. 

I will continue my pointless lobbying for a live unreleased Betty Carter set....  :unsure:

I would accept any Betty Carter set as a win!

When I was introduced to drummer Bill Goodwin at the Deer Head Inn a few years ago, he told me that he was in the midst of digitizing the Phil Woods Quintet’s live shows. Since Phil’s unissued music was featured on a previous Mosaic set, I wonder if they have any interest in another one?

How they comin’ on the Bill Barron set?

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

How they comin’ on the Bill Barron set?

No release date yet, but they are accepting preorders!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

No release date yet, but they are accepting preorders!

Take my money!! :excited:

On 26-5-2022 at 8:23 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Halcyon in Britain issued the complete (minus 4 alt takes) 1935-1942 output on 18 Cd's including 10 sides by the Clark Randall orchestra a forerunner of the Crosby band.

Most sides have vocals by Bob Crosby. Instrumentals are in a minority. 

What is the status of the WATT catalogue? Are they still active? The last three Bley/Swallow/Sheppard trio release were on ECM proper, not WATT, and some items arestarting to get pricey.

Or the JCOA label, for that matter?

On 6/8/2022 at 6:11 PM, miles65 said:

Halcyon in Britain issued the complete (minus 4 alt takes) 1935-1942 output on 18 Cd's including 10 sides by the Clark Randall orchestra a forerunner of the Crosby band.

Most sides have vocals by Bob Crosby. Instrumentals are in a minority. 

I suggested a Bob Crosby box to Scott many years ago.  It did not evoke much of a response at the time.  

A Bob Crosby box would be musically quite worthwhile IMO, but is there enough nostalgia sentiment for the band, versus that of say the Goodman band, to generate sufficient sales? I would guess not. Also a good deal of Bob Crosby material has been available on CD.

Am I the only one who wants some unreleased live Betty Carter? :wacko::wacko:

20 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Am I the only one who wants some unreleased live Betty Carter? :wacko::wacko:

No, I'm in for any Betty Carter--she was astonishing.