scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

811 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

No, I'm in for any Betty Carter--she was astonishing.

I second that emotion! Would be on board for any kind of Betty Carter Mosaic. A set of unreleased live performances would be great, as would anything that pulled together various recordings of hers from the beginning of her career up to the 1970s (though the latter would involve licensing from multiple labels, often a too-problematic issue for potential Mosaic sets).  Who owns the Bet-Car material these days?

I know it's not even close to possible but I'd love to see a box set of the early Moodsville Records.

12 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I know it's not even close to possible but I'd love to see a box set of the early Moodsville Records.

I would be into this as well.  Shame that Concord has their grubby talons into this music.  Probably will never see the light of day again.

Does it seem like the future of Mosaic Records is one of putting out box sets that contain music only made before, say, the mid to late 50's?

On 7/2/2022 at 0:35 PM, Late said:

Does it seem like the future of Mosaic Records is one of putting out box sets that contain music only made before, say, the mid to late 50's?

Well, no. The last five sets before the Black and White all went beyond the late 50s. The Desmond was from the mid-70s, The Tristano went up to 1970, the Armstrong to '66, and so on.

gregmo

Ok then, substitute "musicians that came into prominence before" for "music only made before" and I think it's a valid observation.

I certainly do not expect the current regime to do a set of somebody like, for example, Sonny Simmons.

Mosaic used to be good for lighting a fire up under the fan-recognition of certain individual artists who were worthy but as they say, "underrecognized". I'm not seeing that being a priority now. Not necessarily saying that it should be, just that it doesn't appear to be.

Posted (edited)

On 2.7.2022 at 6:31 PM, jazzbo said:

If they do it, it will probably be a vinyl box set. 

Edited by mikeweil

On 6/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, JSngry said:

No release date yet, but they are accepting preorders!

Where? There's nothing on the website? How many cds? What period does it cover? The bands? 

sorry, "inside joke".

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

If they do it, it will probably be a vinyl box set. 

I doubt that to be honest. Vinyl sets are few and far between from Mosaic. . . it's been a while since they offered any. If they were to license a vinyl set I bet Concord would just have their Craft line do one.

Edited by jazzbo

"They" are Craft in my post - I should have specified this.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok then, substitute "musicians that came into prominence before" for "music only made before" and I think it's a valid observation.

I certainly do not expect the current regime to do a set of somebody like, for example, Sonny Simmons.

Mosaic used to be good for lighting a fire up under the fan-recognition of certain individual artists who were worthy but as they say, "underrecognized." I'm not seeing that being a priority now. Not necessarily saying that it should be, just that it doesn't appear to be.

This is what I was getting at. While Mosaic released, for example, Henry Threadgill and Anthony Braxton big boxes—and Sam Rivers and Andrew Hill small boxes—the current trajectory for sets doesn't appear to bear the same type of interest in similar artists. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, just that it appears more geared toward, say, the Louis Armstrong-purchasing crowd. However ... the last Mobley box set is an example that proves otherwise.

Current economics aside, I wonder if Mosaic would put out a Tina Brooks set today. But maybe this type of wondering is somewhat pointless.

21 minutes ago, Late said:

I wonder if Mosaic would put out a Tina Brooks set today. 

That would get a/the Bill Barron box. In so many ways 

Besides the four Savoy albums, what exactly is on this fabled Barron Mosaic? Will it include the bossa nova West Side Story album?

Oh yeah. That + And Now Hear This. And then his three Muse albums. 

Fill it out with his Atlantic appearances with Philly Joe and Ted Curson. A later Curson album done for Alan Bates (Flip Top) would be great too, if available. And maybe get that Joken album in there 

Get Kenny to contribute to the liners. Everybody knows and loves Kenny Barron. 

It would take some effort, belief, and enthusiasm, both to put it together and to market it, none of which I believe this current regime could muster for this artist, in this climate.

But this is certainly a most worthy artist to receive a treatment such as this . I believe I referred to him as "The Tina Brooks of the 21st Century" in regards to what a prime-era Mosaic could do with/for him. 

There's more material, some of it pretty stealth. And supposedly Barron's window has a substantial collection of tapes. But Bill Barron not being Phil Woods or Paul Desmond, forget about any of that 

Or any of it at all, for that matter 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

And maybe get that Joken album in there.

OS01MDM5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Guess what? Bill Barron was also a painter! (For real.) The painting used for the Joken album cover is his.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Late said:

This is what I was getting at. While Mosaic released, for example, Henry Threadgill and Anthony Braxton big boxes—and Sam Rivers and Andrew Hill small boxes—the current trajectory for sets doesn't appear to bear the same type of interest in similar artists. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, just that it appears more geared toward, say, the Louis Armstrong-purchasing crowd. However ... the last Mobley box set is an example that proves otherwise.

Current economics aside, I wonder if Mosaic would put out a Tina Brooks set today. But maybe this type of wondering is somewhat pointless.

Ah, ok, I take all your points. Yes, I think they've gotten a bit more conservative, driven by the decline in general of cd purchases and the simple need to survive. I know that several responses from Michael to various queries over the past few years have involved the notion of whether a given set had or would sell. And I myself am part of that "resistant" demographic. The Braxton set is the only one issued in the past several years that I didn't get. But I would get Jim's much longed-for Bill Barron set! Promise!

gregmo

Some of the recent Mosaic harvests risk placement in the produce section next to 'moldy figs'.

34 minutes ago, Bill Nelson said:

Some of the recent Mosaic harvests risk placement in the produce section next to 'moldy figs'.

Yeah, but the Bill Barron set will help fix that notion. Right?!

Depends on when they actually do it....

1 hour ago, Bill Nelson said:

Can you be a 'moldy fig' and still listen to Bird?  Yes, I think you can.

Well sure. It's not 1947 any more.

Hell, it's not even 1997 any more.

What year is it any way? It's hard to tell sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

At least Mosaic “produces” great sets instead of stuff that would end up stocked with diapers.

I've eaten slightly moldy figs, and was afraid that I would indeed need diapers! 

Posted (edited)

Mosaic is obviously pretty much a one man operation without a lot of resources nowadays.  If you think you can do better, do it.  They're not beyond criticism but they don't owe us anything except value for our money which I think I get. If you're not interested in what they're releasing don't buy it.  If there are collections you'd like to see that they don't want to do, do it yourself.   Scott would probably be willing to give advice. 

I was involved in the beginnings of the Criterion Collection (my wife named it).  Bob & Aleen Stein knew about Laser Discs and I  knew about films. We had no money and few connections but we kept at it.  (I can't take any credit for its eventual  success--  by the time it issued its first discs I was busy with other things.). 

I'm serious.   Many of  us have seem to have enough free time to spend it here kvetching about Mosaic.  Log off and get to work. 

Edited by medjuck