scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

469 posts in this topic

Neil Young? Whoa...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Neil Young? Whoa...

Please expound!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hawk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hawk.

Image result for neil young hawks and doves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We discussed this before, but I think that the ultimate Mosaic set at this point would be  Warne Marsh - The Revelation Recordings.    This would be Non Plus Ultra plus about 6 more CDs of still unissued professional recordings made around the same time.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John L said:

We discussed this before, but I think that the ultimate Mosaic set at this point would be  Warne Marsh - The Revelation Recordings.    This would be Non Plus Ultra plus about 6 more CDs of still unissued professional recordings made around the same time.

 

 

 

That's one I'd preorder in a quick minute. And I don't think I'd be alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, paul secor said:

That's one I'd preorder in a quick minute. And I don't think I'd be alone.

You wouldn't be. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Warne is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John L said:

We discussed this before, but I think that the ultimate Mosaic set at this point would be  Warne Marsh - The Revelation Recordings.    This would be Non Plus Ultra plus about 6 more CDs of still unissued professional recordings made around the same time.

Would pre-order immediately ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope for the fans that all these sets mentioned in earlier in this tread come to be some day. But as a vintage man I have other wishes. My 2 cents worth. These I one time or another suggested to Mosaic

  1. Victor and Columbia 1897-1917(?) Ragtime recordings. This would save a whole genre of music.

  2. Paul Whiteman Victor and Columbia Jazz(orientated) recordings 1920-1937. He was not the King of Jazz but had Bix, Tram and later Jack Teagarden (and many more) in his ranks.

  3. Duke Ellington 1924-1930 Sony owned recordings. Years ago I posted about this. This would amount to 4 CD’s. If Steven Laster would do this set he will have done most of Duke’s recordings 1924-1946. And if Universal would cooperate and add the two later found takes to the existing 3 Cd Brunswick/Vocalion set it would truly be wonderful.

  4. Duke Ellington Columbia 1947-1952. There is still a lot of unissued material from this period.

  5. Duke Ellington Columbia 1956-1962. Here also there is still a lot unissued material and tracks that are only available on vinyl. This would have to be spread on several boxes.

  6. Fletcher Henderson. A set on this important big band pioneer is long overdue.

  7. Henry “Red” Allen/J.C. Higginbotham 1929-1946 Sony sessions. They played together a lot but there are a few sessions worth of inclusion where only one of them played. Apart from leader sessions there would also be tracks from Fletcher Henderson, Mills Blue Rhythm Band and Luis Russell.

  8. A combined set with Jimmie Lunceford and Chick Webb Victor and Columbia sessions. If there is space left maybe Charlie Johnson too.

  9. Clarence Williams/ Eva Taylor 1921-1942 Okeh/Columbia/Vocalion recordings. This would have to be a split in at least two sets.

  10. Last but not least Louis Armstrong Okeh, Columbia and Victor 1925-1933 sessions. Off course this material is not difficult to obtain. Most of it anyway. But at the moment these recordings are not available in away that is legal everywhere. Including only the leader sessions it would amount  to 8 CD’s. But in this period Armstrong was also a side man in 9 vocalist sessions (21 tracks). This would mean an extra CD. But on the one hand I would not like the vocalist sessions intertwined with the leader sessions but on the other hand I would not like to miss Hociel Thomas’ ‘Sunshine Baby’ Just listen to Armstrong and Dodds play as if their lives depend on in. If Universal would cooperate and allow a CD with the Erskine Tate, Lil Armstrong, Johnny Dodds, Jimmy Bertrant and the Louis Armstrong 1934 Paris sessions to be included than together with the 1935-1946 Decca set we would have 21 consecutive years of Armstrong studio recordings complete.

When there were still selects I suggested a set with Victor sessions that were not included in the Bix and Lang/Venuti sets.

Wish that came true: Teddy Wilson’s Sony recordings without Billie.

And an Armstrong set with the 50’s Columbia recordings is in the make

New wishes are:

The Gerry Mulligan Sextet LP set on CD;

Benny Goodman Orchestra on Victor 1935-1939;

Benny Goodman Victor and Columbia small group sessions 1935-1946;

More (Ellington and Goodman) from the Savory collection;

Savoy and Commodore swing combo’s.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

India Navigation (you could do a Chico Freeman and a Hamiett Bluiett and a David Murray, I suspect, or some sort of combo like the Bee Hive and Strata-East boxes), more Strata-East.

Edited by felser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, miles65 said:

I

  1. A combined set with Jimmie Lunceford and Chick Webb Victor and Columbia sessions.  

It is a shame that Mosaic didn't include the Columbia sessions in their previous Lunceford set.   It would have been perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, John L said:

It is a shame that Mosaic didn't include the Columbia sessions in their previous Lunceford set.   It would have been perfect. 

There were no multiple compagnie sets between the Bunny Berigan set and the second Lester Young set IIRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging from this thread, a set of Sonny Stitt's Muse and Cobblestone sessions would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, felser said:

India Navigation (you could do a Chico Freeman and a Hamiett Bluiett and a David Murray, I suspect, or some sort of combo like the Bee Hive and Strata-East boxes), more Strata-East.

That would be very nice, as would be the Stitt.

Edited by Pim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clare Fischer dammit! I've asked before already..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On the Warne Marsh theme, has anyone suggested a Complete Wave Label set of recordings put out by Peter Ind?

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how many recordings Wave released, but that might entail a large box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, felser said:

India Navigation (you could do a Chico Freeman and a Hamiett Bluiett and a David Murray, I suspect, or some sort of combo like the Bee Hive and Strata-East boxes), more Strata-East.

I believe upon Bob Cummins death, the masters were given to the artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, miles65 said:

I hope for the fans that all these sets mentioned in earlier in this tread come to be some day. But as a vintage man I have other wishes. My 2 cents worth. These I one time or another suggested to Mosaic

  1. Victor and Columbia 1897-1917(?) Ragtime recordings. This would save a whole genre of music.

  2. Paul Whiteman Victor and Columbia Jazz(orientated) recordings 1920-1937. He was not the King of Jazz but had Bix, Tram and later Jack Teagarden (and many more) in his ranks.

  3. Duke Ellington 1924-1930 Sony owned recordings. Years ago I posted about this. This would amount to 4 CD’s. If Steven Laster would do this set he will have done most of Duke’s recordings 1924-1946. And if Universal would cooperate and add the two later found takes to the existing 3 Cd Brunswick/Vocalion set it would truly be wonderful.

  4. Duke Ellington Columbia 1947-1952. There is still a lot of unissued material from this period.

  5. Duke Ellington Columbia 1956-1962. Here also there is still a lot unissued material and tracks that are only available on vinyl. This would have to be spread on several boxes.

  6. Fletcher Henderson. A set on this important big band pioneer is long overdue.

  7. Henry “Red” Allen/J.C. Higginbotham 1929-1946 Sony sessions. They played together a lot but there are a few sessions worth of inclusion where only one of them played. Apart from leader sessions there would also be tracks from Fletcher Henderson, Mills Blue Rhythm Band and Luis Russell.

  8. A combined set with Jimmie Lunceford and Chick Webb Victor and Columbia sessions. If there is space left maybe Charlie Johnson too.

  9. Clarence Williams/ Eva Taylor 1921-1942 Okeh/Columbia/Vocalion recordings. This would have to be a split in at least two sets.

  10. Last but not least Louis Armstrong Okeh, Columbia and Victor 1925-1933 sessions. Off course this material is not difficult to obtain. Most of it anyway. But at the moment these recordings are not available in away that is legal everywhere. Including only the leader sessions it would amount  to 8 CD’s. But in this period Armstrong was also a side man in 9 vocalist sessions (21 tracks). This would mean an extra CD. But on the one hand I would not like the vocalist sessions intertwined with the leader sessions but on the other hand I would not like to miss Hociel Thomas’ ‘Sunshine Baby’ Just listen to Armstrong and Dodds play as if their lives depend on in. If Universal would cooperate and allow a CD with the Erskine Tate, Lil Armstrong, Johnny Dodds, Jimmy Bertrant and the Louis Armstrong 1934 Paris sessions to be included than together with the 1935-1946 Decca set we would have 21 consecutive years of Armstrong studio recordings complete.

When there were still selects I suggested a set with Victor sessions that were not included in the Bix and Lang/Venuti sets.

Wish that came true: Teddy Wilson’s Sony recordings without Billie.

And an Armstrong set with the 50’s Columbia recordings is in the make

New wishes are:

The Gerry Mulligan Sextet LP set on CD;

Benny Goodman Orchestra on Victor 1935-1939;

Benny Goodman Victor and Columbia small group sessions 1935-1946;

More (Ellington and Goodman) from the Savory collection;

Savoy and Commodore swing combo’s.

 

I'd go for almost all of these but I doubt if they'd sell very well.  BTW When you say the Victor "Bix and Lang/Venuti" sets is that mainly Whitman? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, medjuck said:

I'd go for almost all of these but I doubt if they'd sell very well.  BTW When you say the Victor "Bix and Lang/Venuti" sets is that mainly Whitman? 

No not Whiteman nor Goldkette. Bix, Tram, Lang and Venuti, Teagarden all had sessions for Victor. Not enough for even a Select but if the Okeh/Columbia  recordings of Eddie Condon, Bud Freeman, The Big Aces etc from that period were included it would have been a very nice 3 CD set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, John L said:

We discussed this before, but I think that the ultimate Mosaic set at this point would be  Warne Marsh - The Revelation Recordings.    This would be Non Plus Ultra plus about 6 more CDs of still unissued professional recordings made around the same time.

 

 

 

I'm not positive about this, but wasn't there a mention here at one point that Hat Hut destroyed or damaged the tapes for Ne Plus Ultra? I may be mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of my all-time hands-down favorite Mosaic boxes are the ones that collate the work of a record label (H.R.S., Beehive, Strata East). It seems that, if license-able, the DIW catalogue could be mined for some interesting boxes.  Such as:

DIW Records:  The Classic Piano Recordings (Harold Mabern, John Hicks, James Williams, Mulgrew Miller,  Ronnie Matthews, Walter Bishop, George Cables and more).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Some of my all-time hands-down favorite Mosaic boxes are the ones that collate the work of a record label (H.R.S., Beehive, Strata East). It seems that, if license-able, the DIW catalogue could be mined for some interesting boxes.  Such as:

DIW Records:  The Classic Piano Recordings (Harold Mabern, John Hicks, James Williams, Mulgrew Miller,  Ronnie Matthews, Walter Bishop, George Cables and more).

 

Works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 8:18 PM, John L said:

We discussed this before, but I think that the ultimate Mosaic set at this point would be  Warne Marsh - The Revelation Recordings.    This would be Non Plus Ultra plus about 6 more CDs of still unissued professional recordings made around the same time.

 

 

 

I'd buy a Mosaic Marsh set of this period in a heartbeat. Ne Plus Ultra is one of my "desert island" discs, and it would be great to hear what else might be out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.