scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

469 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2019 at 2:24 PM, Shrdlu said:

Er, Savoy pretty much stopped recording jazz after 1960, apart from some far-out stuff. The meat is from 1950 through 1960,

I have all of the Chico on Impulse vinyl. There is some tasty stuff there. The best, for me, is the session with Richard Davis and a very good alto saxophone player called Arnie Lawrence. The album is called "The Dealer". There won't be any new tracks, of course, because, as you probably know, some nitwit threw out all the Impulse session reels (with a few exceptions) in the early 70s.

There's plenty of jazz material in the 1960s for them to do a Savoy box.

Les Baxter/Plas Johnson Jungle Jazz/African Jazz twofer.  The existing releases are mastered from vinyl. 

The 50s Savoy material that I would first go for, if issuing a box set, would be up to, and including, Curtis Fuller's session of June 7, 1960.

As i said, it is hard to know what to pick, for a first set. About 7 CDs would be right. There is too much material for a "complete" set. As most of you know, there are a lot of tasty sessions by Cannonball Adderley, Yusef Lateef, Curtis Fuller, Wilbur Harden and others, and Kenny Clarke was their house drummer up to the end of 1956.

A set covering Yusef from the beginning of Savoy to the end of impulse!, with the one-off or two in between, would certainly be warranted. I'd be in on that one, after I get this upcoming Bill Barron set in the cart.

Other than that, Savoy in the 50s was too often run-off level compared to other labels. Nobody did their best work on Savoy LPs in the 1950s. Nobody did bad work either. There's plenty of stuff that makes for a good single album issue, but if you pile them altogether...there won't be diamonds created. More like gravel made, or in the case of Coltrane/Harden, granite.

But Yusef, yeah, there's a set there, at least on paper.

They could combine a few sets along the Kelly/Chambers(/Strozier) and Morgan/Shorter Vee Jay sets, for sure ... Hank Jones/Kenny Clarke, or Clarke/Adderleys, 'teef/Fuller ... Booker Ervin/BIll Barron

Not sure they would sell though, to be honest. Savoy seems to have a pretty low profile outside circles like this one here, which has been immersed into jazz for a long time. Or is there any hipster crap label doing Savoy reissues? The out-ish 60s stuff may actually have more appeal, also because it would offer more rarities and oddities: Bill Dixon, Valdo Williams, Cleve Pozar ...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/167055-Yusef-Lateef

Leaving out all Fantasy-owned material, look at this!

I'm seeing one Yusef album apiece for Verve & Argo, + seven for Savoy. So that's 9 LPs on labels that Mosaic appears to already have relationship with.

One more on Charlie Parker Records and seven more on impulse! (six if you want to count the two Pep's LPs as one).

That's a buttload of material to get a big-box set out of, and none of it is less than excellent.

I'd be in for a Lateef box before you can blink your eye, that's for sure! Keepnews stopped halfway with his "Late Savoy Sessions" 2 CD set -- I think another 2 CD set would have completed the Savoy material though ("Stable Mates" is a various artists album). The Verve album was reissued in the Verve Elite Edition many moons ago, I'm very fond of it. The Argo may be the rarest of the bunch?

Anyway, Fresh Sound did a complete 1957 recordings box, which overlaps with the Verve and the two early Savoys (Jazz for the Thinker, Jazz Moods), and maybe that's too much already for Mosaic to even seriously consider (beyond combining Savoy material - who's holding that? - with Universal-owned material).

Again, alas I doubt there's a big market for this.

Thinking big, let's just imagine all the wonders (and goofy dreadfulness) a complete Atlantic Eddie who set would offer :excited:

9 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Thinking big, let's just imagine all the wonders (and goofy dreadfulness) a complete Atlantic Eddie who set would offer :excited:

Am I not remembering correctly, or has Mosaic proper yet to deal with anything overtly electronic?

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Am I not remembering correctly, or has Mosaic proper yet to deal with anything overtly electronic?

I think you're correct ... but it would be fun. Maybe they could do the "Complete Cannonball Adderley Capitol Studio & Live Recordings" as a warm-up (I bet there's plenty of bonus material from the live dates?), and then proceed with Eddie :g 

Yeah, somebody get on Scott about that!

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

• Good God! I have the 4-volume Atlantic Discography here at the moment - that's a lot of music. A separation of live and studio material would be necessary. But all the unissued stuff is, by all probabilty, lost.

Those would be sets more on the scale of the big Herbie Hancock box -- not what Mosaic does (but they did crazy things like the three Commodores, the almost complete MD, the Nat Cole ... and re: crazy, where's that Babs Gonzales set?)

Mosaic Exotica Singles! :lol::tup

That cover model is sexy, why is this cover not in that thread?

Done!

I wish Mosaic would do a box of Brother Theodore's Coral LPs.  They are impossible to find.  

On 4/11/2019 at 7:49 AM, king ubu said:

I think you're correct ... but it would be fun. Maybe they could do the "Complete Cannonball Adderley Capitol Studio & Live Recordings" as a warm-up (I bet there's plenty of bonus material from the live dates?), and then proceed with Eddie :g 

That one would have the benefit of selling pretty well, I think.

gregmo

Complete Pete Rugolo Mercury Recordings.

Howard Roberts - Complete Capitol albums.

Oscar Brown, Jr. Complete Columbia albums.

Roland Shaw - Complete Decca/London James Bond/spy knockoff albums. 

Mundell Lowe - Complete TV Action Jazz!

Phil Moore - Complete "Wordless Female Vocals with Orchestra" sessions.

The Complete Quadrophonic Mixes Of Any Jazz Record That Ever Had One.

Vinyl only, please.

I heard today of a Mosaic project that is already underway, but I'd not heard even a rumour of it.  The tapes have been baked and the mixing is underway.

I'm not trying to be a tease here, but I was asked to not reveal it quite yet.  It involves a whopping good bunch of unreleased club recordings, more material that doesn't duplicate earlier very well-known material by the same artists.

I absolutely trust my source, and it'll be a welcome addition to my collection.

6 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I heard today of a Mosaic project that is already underway, but I'd not heard even a rumour of it.  The tapes have been baked and the mixing is underway.

I'm not trying to be a tease here, but I was asked to not reveal it quite yet.  It involves a whopping good bunch of unreleased club recordings, more material that doesn't duplicate earlier very well-known material by the same artists.

I absolutely trust my source, and it'll be a welcome addition to my collection.

Did Mosaic make a deal for the Picadilly tapes from the good Doctor?

10 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Did Mosaic make a deal for the Picadilly tapes from the good Doctor?

Don't know about those...  (Now, YOU'RE teasing ME!!! :o)

I'm going to get in touch with my source, to see if I can say more about said project.

Okay, just checked with my source, who says "...it's definitely going ahead.  I'll keep you posted as things progress.  It is REALLY exciting....."  So, no authorization to reveal everything, per: "This is going to take a while.  There's about seventeen hours of music that we have to listen to, mix, and master for the eventual CDs."