Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

190 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Okay, just checked with my source, who says "...it's definitely going ahead.  I'll keep you posted as things progress.  It is REALLY exciting....."  So, no authorization to reveal everything, per: "This is going to take a while.  There's about seventeen hours of music that we have to listen to, mix, and master for the eventual CDs."

Seventeen discs? you should ask your source if this is coming out in two volumes or not because $280 isn't a price point they seem to aspire to reach.

There must be some way they could do a Billy Harper set.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

There must be some way they could do a Billy Harper set.

I'd buy a 17-hour Billy Harper set!! :excited:

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'd buy a 17-hour Billy Harper set!! :excited:

Or a 17-hour Max Roach with Billy Harper set.  But I agree, there aren't a whole lot of sets I for which I would shell out $300 at this point.

On 4/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, JSngry said:

The Complete Quadrophonic Mixes Of Any Jazz Record That Ever Had One.

Vinyl only, please.

You could actually just about pull something like that off if Sony/CBS was still licensing material:

Related image

Image result for records quad mixes jazz

Image result for records quad mixes jazz

Atlantic did Quad, too.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Seventeen discs? you should ask your source if this is coming out in two volumes or not because $280 isn't a price point they seem to aspire to reach.

If you come closer to maxing out the length of each CD, and if you assume 17 hours is a pretty rough estimate (some "hours" being less than others, i.e. anything from 50-65 minute sets being 'an hour', for instance), this could easily be a 12-13 disc set.  I'm guessing 12 discs, as that would mean fewer jewel-boxes.

It's still bigger than most sets they've ever done.

What's also interesting is the implication that such a large set (by any measure) is going forward, no pre-orders needed. They must be very confident of the sales at a higher price point.  Or they'll keep a lid on the first run, regardless of how many they have the contractual right to sell, thus minimizing the exposure of too many units being pressed and warehoused.

So sad.  I've been going through the earliest Mosaic boxes I bought.  Curtis Fuller, Sam Rivers, Thad Jones...all 3 disc boxes, sold at a reasonable price point.  There was no way I was going to jump into Mosaic buying/collecting with 7 or 8 disc boxes, as I could not afford it back then.  I think they're missing the boat with concentrating on large boxes, as they're ignoring the large universe of potential buyers who could become long-time customers.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Atlantic did Quad, too.

Gil Evans's "Svengali". 

On 10/04/2019 at 10:27 PM, mjzee said:

Minor correction: JSP's magnificent project was 6 boxes, 26 CDs total.

Belatedly... but that was a PD project wasn't it? I wanted an officially licensed set. 

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If you come closer to maxing out the length of each CD, and if you assume 17 hours is a pretty rough estimate (some "hours" being less than others, i.e. anything from 50-65 minute sets being 'an hour', for instance), this could easily be a 12-13 disc set.  I'm guessing 12 discs, as that would mean fewer jewel-boxes.

Depends on the song lengths and how they want to partition the material (separate by sets, by date, etc.).   And Mosaic never has worked hard to optimize discs at the expense of logical cutoffs for the material.

Ever thought that these 17 hours need be reviewed and boiled down to the 7 or 8 discs of usable material?

10 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Ever thought that these 17 hours need be reviewed and boiled down to the 7 or 8 discs of usable material?

Yeah, that was kinda my thought too.  17 hours seems like a LOT, of anything.

28 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, that was kinda my thought too.  17 hours seems like a LOT, of anything.

There is that much on tape.  The mixing/listening/editing will reduce that to choosing from alternate performances, etc.  king ubu is right:  why would one assume that 17 raw tapes would equal 17 finished CDs?  

15 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

There is that much on tape.  The mixing/listening/editing will reduce that to choosing from alternate performances, etc.  king ubu is right:  why would one assume that 17 raw tapes would equal 17 finished CDs?  

Oh stop making sense and start spilling the beans. :P