scooter_phx

Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

469 posts in this topic

My very first thought when I read about this 17 hours of unreleased club material is that it's going to be a massive Erroll Garner set.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

not a damn thing. but wouldn't it be nice, maybe? didn't Roy Eldridge spend a long time at Jimmy Ryan's?

Mostly just singing.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Mostly just singing.

Really?  I've been kicking myself for years for not having gone to see him there. 

On 13/04/2019 at 10:45 PM, mikeweil said:

Mosaic Exotica Singles! :lol::tup

Yes. 7”.  

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Eddie Condon's would be great! But my best guess is Left Bank.

I think it will be some place else, because of the comment about choosing among takes - if a big tranche of Left Bank tapes showed up, we'd get the whole 17 shows in one go, methinks.

Likely right, just wishful thinking on my part (mostly for Mosaic as I think it would be a good selling point, I'd love Eddie Condon's material myself).

51 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Likely right, just wishful thinking on my part (mostly for Mosaic as I think it would be a good selling point, I'd love Eddie Condon's material myself).

I'd be up for anything/anywhere, except that guess of 17 hours of Errol Garner.  I do have limits. :ph34r:

18 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Black and White Records

Scott mentioned this as a possible project to me a couple of months ago--it won't include any T-Bone Walker sides, which were covered in a previous Mosaic set.  But there's definitely some good 1940s material in that catalogue.

Pickwick issued five CDs of Black & White material in 1989 in their "Jazz Footprints" series.  These CDs included sides by:

• Rod Cless
  • Hank Duncan
  • George Wettling
  • Cliff Jackson
  • Dick Cary
  • Cliff Jackson (another date)
  • Art Hodes
  • Nat Jaffe
  • Errol Garner
  • Gene Schroeder
  • Ray Stokes
  • Red Callender
  • Joe Marsala
  • Etta Jones
  • Barney Bigard
  • Cliff Jackson (still another date)
  • Willie "The Lion" Smith

If memory serves, there were some Storyville LPs that included some B&W material as well.  Here are a few:

anders_ivie_blackwhit_101b.jpg

R-9662455-1506294057-2240.jpeg.jpg

R-9448649-1480779350-3931.jpeg.jpg

A Black and White Records set is the exact sort of box I like best: a survey of a record label wherein I won't duplicate much in my collection.  Among the sessions I do know, the Barney Bigards  feature the great trumpet player Joe Thomas and are quite enjoyable.

Yes, Joe Thomas was great.  He shows up on many Keynote sessions and on some HRS sides as well.  Undeservedly unrecognized!

20 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Yes, Joe Thomas was great.  He shows up on many Keynote sessions and on some HRS sides as well.  Undeservedly unrecognized!

This is exactly how I "discovered" him:  through the Mosaic HRS and the Fresh Sounds Keynote sets.  

5 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

This is exactly how I "discovered" him:  through the Mosaic HRS and the Fresh Sounds Keynote sets.  

Didn’t my know FS had made Keynotes.  I will need to check their site out. 

13 hours ago, Brad said:

Didn’t my know FS had made Keynotes.  I will need to check their site out. 

It's a box set 11 CD's

Just now, miles65 said:

It's a box set 11 CD's

Is it a direct duplication of the Japanese-issue Complete Keynote vinyl box? I have a copy of this one (which came with a bonus single).

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Is it a direct duplication of the Japanese-issue Complete Keynote vinyl box? I have a copy of this one (which came with a bonus single).

I don't know. I don't have it (yet) There are no alternate's on it if that helps.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the Lord Disco tells contents of the Japanese 21 LP set and Fresh Sound 11 CD box are identical. (p.s. there is a thread linked below that tells differently)

Sidewinder, what was on that bonus single?

Edited by mikeweil

If you want to do a "Compete Something" and somebody else has done a "Complete Something" before and both happen to proceed according ot the same (logical) method (such as chronologically) then obviously you are bound to end up with similar track lists.
Obviously the Japanese Keynote box set was the ideal one to go for if it had not been for the fact(s) that it was a) Japanese and therefore b) out of price to most purses, including due to difficult sourcing on the pre-internet days, c) out of print fast (and remember it was released 32 years ago), d) surrounded by price-hiking collectabilia hullabaloo not only on the strength of the product but probably even more so due to being able to be touted as "Japanese pressing", etc. etc.
So the Fresh Sound Keynote CD box is a very interesting and welcome alternative and is nicely packaged, particularly for what it offers price-wise. Personally I can live without the alternate takes (I do have a few on earlier Mercury vinyls and an earlier chance purchase of one of Japanese Essential Keynote Collection CDs (with nice liner notes by Dan Morgenstern but otherwise of very austere presentaiton).

No, not a direct duplication at all. There's a lot of info on this thread:

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Looking at the Lord Disco tells contents of the Japanese 21 LP set and Fresh Sound 11 CD box are identical.

Sidewinder, what was on that bonus single?

A Lennie Tristano group.

Thanks for the info to all respondees.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

No, not a direct duplication at all. There's a lot of info on this thread:

Thanks for that thread Lon. I must have missed it. 

Although I have most of the Keynote CDs issued by Mercury, the price of the Fresh Sounds set is too good to pass up so I've just ordered it (added in a newish Bobby Jaspar set for good measure).  

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

If you want to do a "Compete Something" and somebody else has done a "Complete Something" before and both happen to proceed according ot the same (logical) method (such as chronologically) then obviously you are bound to end up with similar track lists.
Obviously the Japanese Keynote box set was the ideal one to go for if it had not been for the fact(s) that it was a) Japanese and therefore b) out of price to most purses, including due to difficult sourcing on the pre-internet days, c) out of print fast (and remember it was released 32 years ago), d) surrounded by price-hiking collectabilia hullabaloo not only on the strength of the product but probably even more so due to being able to be touted as "Japanese pressing", etc. etc.
So the Fresh Sound Keynote CD box is a very interesting and welcome alternative and is nicely packaged, particularly for what it offers price-wise. Personally I can live without the alternate takes (I do have a few on earlier Mercury vinyls and an earlier chance purchase of one of Japanese Essential Keynote Collection CDs (with nice liner notes by Dan Morgenstern but otherwise of very austere presentaiton).

Not that prohibitive in price - I had no problems sourcing a reasonably priced copy of the Keynote set, albeit second hand.

Just now, sidewinder said:

Not that prohibitive in price - I had no problems sourcing a reasonably priced copy of the Keynote set, albeit second hand.

Well, I was talking about new ones. Cannot recall having ever seen one new over here in the shops - though we had shops with very good jazz sections including imports (I would probably have sprung for it), and I dimly remember seeing one at Mole Jazz later on in the 90s - pricey! As were those scant few (and rare) ones I had on my watch lists on eBay in the very early 2000s before I gave up on that item.

Posted (edited)

Got mine from a very good UK jazz vinyl dealer in the early 2000s. I think it cost me about the same price as a Mosaic. Don’t recall seeing one at Mole but I was likely abroad at the time that one would have been above the counter at Grays Inn Road.

I think I also saw one for sale at the Jazz Record Centre the last time I was there, over a decade ago now alas.

One box set I do recall being advertised on the door at Mole is Chuck’s Early AEC Recordings CD box set.

Edited by sidewinder

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Got mine from a very good UK jazz vinyl dealer in the early 2000s. I think it cost me about the same price as a Mosaic. Don’t recall seeing one at Mole but I was likely abroad at the time that one would have been above the counter at Grays Inn Road.

As I remember it, it was on the top of one of the racks where they often had an array of box sets in the upstairs vinyl room at Grays Inn Road (where I spotted a Benedetti Mosaic on another occasion).

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

As I remember it, it was on the top of one of the racks where they often had an array of box sets in the upstairs vinyl room at Grays Inn Road (where I spotted a Benedetti Mosaic on another occasion).

Far wall overhead racks. Remember seeing a Thad Jones/Mel Lewis second hand Mosaic vinyl up there in the latter days..

Edited by sidewinder