What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, HutchFan said:

Both TREMENDOUS, imho. :tup :tup :tup 

I happened to see Santana in concert a few weeks ago. He's still a very powerful musician.

Agreed.  'Caravanserai' is a Desert Island Disc for me.  As for 'Borboletta", Leon Patillo was my favorite Santana singer ever.  Too bad in one sense he didn't stay on, but he had a higher calling., which I fully respect.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed.  'Caravanserai' is a Desert Island Disc for me.  As for 'Borboletta", Leon Patillo was my favorite Santana singer ever.  Too bad in one sense he didn't stay on, but he had a higher calling., which I fully respect.

Another plus for Borboletta: the presence of Airto & Flora Purim.

I didn't know until recently that the butterfly design on the cover of Borboletta was Santana's "tip of the cap" to Purim's Butterfly Dreams

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I didn't know until recently that the butterfly design on the cover of Borboletta was Santana's "tip of the cap" to Purim's Butterfly Dreams

And I didn't know that until right now!

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

61HEoNqHlCL._SX495_.jpg

Another brilliant Santana album, IMO.

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering what to listen to, saw this and thought "why not?".

Thoroughly enjoying it, Leon T, Flora P, I had no idea! Last time I listened to Santana was probably "Moonflower' or 'Abraxas' in 1976 or thereabouts....I had no idea they were this Jazzy. A revelation!

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering what to listen to, saw this and thought "why not?".

Thoroughly enjoying it, Leon T, Flora P, I had no idea! Last time I listened to Santana was probably "Moonflower' or 'Abraxas' in 1976 or thereabouts....I had no idea they were this Jazzy. A revelation!

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)  

Alice Coltrane sits in on a couple tracks too.

Van Dyke Parks: Song Cycle. For many years now, I will play this album every now-and-then, to find out if I understand anything, just a sliver of something on this album. So far, after all these years, I don't understand a darn thing about what's going on.

PS: Let me add that I'm mystified by Van Dyke Parks reputation as a genius, I don't get a thing... I'm probably just dense. 

R-11759284-1543412511-2390.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Matthew

5 hours ago, Matthew said:

Van Dyke Parks: Song Cycle. For many years now, I will play this album every now-and-then, to find out if I understand anything, just a sliver of something on this album. So far, after all these years, I don't understand a darn thing about what's going on.

PS: Let me add that I'm mystified by Van Dyke Parks reputation as a genius, I don't get a thing... I'm probably just dense. 

I dutifully did the same thing with this album for years, finally gave up.  I will give Parks due credit for his contributions to 'Smile' (which is still, at heart, Brian Wilson), but the love ends there.