What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, BFrank said:

Just discovered the Brit prog band, The Pineapple Thief. Very much in the same vein as Porcupine Tree. Even MORE so now that the band includes PT drummer Gavin Harrison.

Some of their early stuff is pretty interesting.  This is probably the song that got me interested in following them.

Edited by Aggie87

I suppose this isn't really rock, but I caught a Terri Hendrix and Lloyd Maines show here in CC on Friday night.  So I've been listening to some of her albums.  Love Terri, she's a wonderful singer, songwriter, and player.  And Lloyd Maines is, in my opinion, a musical force, and something of an open secret in Texas music.  Has played with, recorded with, and produced just about everyone in the Texas/Americana/alt country scene.  And he's the father of Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks.

Edited by Aggie87

An album called "Friends of Extinction" from an early 80's band called The Dinosaurs.  Their line-up included Peter Albin of Big Brother and the Holding Company, John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, Spencer Dryden of Jefferson Airplane, Robert Hunter of the Grateful Dead, Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish and keyboardist Merl Saunders from the Saunders-Garcia Band. Interesting music from sort of a who's who of late 60's San Francisco rock.

R-7749194-1447979558-4275.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Dave James

I think this group was bigger here in Philly than anywhere else in the world.  Favorites of WMMR, the major Philly FM free-form/progressive rock programming station back then, and I saw them at a sold out concert at the Mann Music Center ca. 1976, and  they were great.  "Mother Russia" is one of my favorite cuts of all-time.  Never have figured out what they are talking about in the lyrics (deep, man, far out!) to the title track of this one, but the song sure does SOUND great, fantastic bass and keyboards, and the voice/vocals of Annie Haslam back then was one of the greatest wonders of creation.

Image result for renaissance ashes burning

In case anyone wants to take a shot at the song meaning, here are some of the lyrics:

Travel the days of freedom
Roads leading everywhere
Come with me now and show how you care

Follow the dying embers
Cross on the paths that they lay
Breath of the past the earths yesterday

Clear your mind maybe you will find
That the past is still turning
Circles sway echo yesterday
Ashes burning ashes burning

Colours are fading starlight
Silver the way to find