What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Born To Run

Never noticed before that a Richard Davis plays bass on 'Meeting Across The River'. I'm assuming it's the Richard Davis? Quick online check suggests as much.

From Igor to The Boss!

Don't remember mention of him in the autobiography - I'm sure I would have noted that

Ian McCulloch - Candleland (WEA, 1989)

504F8B8A-61E2-41B7-880D-8DED6006B5C6.jpeg

12 hours ago, Brad said:

Even though he’s a god in my state, I was never a fan. 

I used to be a huge fan but, after “Tunnel Of Love”, I find his music too linear. Of course, there still a bunch of good songs here and there, and “The Ghost of Tom Joad” partially successfully points to “Nebraska” (which is a gem!!!). But nothing like “The River”, “Darkness...”, “Born to Run”...

Some of his songs still bring tears to my eyes whenever I listen to them, for different sentimental reasons: “Thunder Road”, “I Wanna Marry You”, “No Surrender”, “Badlands”... and many more...

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Ian McCulloch - Candleland (WEA, 1989)

504F8B8A-61E2-41B7-880D-8DED6006B5C6.jpeg

I used to be a huge fan but, after “Tunnel Of Love”, I find his music too linear. Of course, there still a bunch of good songs here and there, and “The Ghost of Tom Joad” partially successfully points to “Nebraska” (which is a gem!!!). But nothing like “The River”, “Darkness...”, “Born to Run”...

Some of his songs still bring tears to my eyes whenever I listen to them, for different sentimental reasons: “Thunder Road”, “I Wanna Marry You”, “No Surrender”, “Badlands”... and many more...

That's almost exactly how I feel about his discography. The run to 'Tunnel Of Love' is great. After that,, the occasional good song but I always check out the new ones just in case. 'Darkness...' is the one for me but probably no coincidence that it was the first I bought on release day having discovered 'Born to Run' a year after release. I know what you mean about the emotional impact too.

I liked Echo & The Bunnymen a lot too, up to 'Ocean Rain'

23 minutes ago, Brad said:

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. 

Still looking for the wine and women, though. 

Those are pretty deep thoughts! 😀

Now listening:

F336EB32-D43F-4FA8-ACE8-E5DE5901ED83.jpeg

I know it’s a classic but... not my cup of tea.

Edited by EKE BBB

Mentioned this band earlier, but have been listening to these albums specifically. Also the live one, but these are more focused.
Also the last couple of Riverside albums. Just saw them live for the first time last week. A much more upbeat show than I expected, but solid as a rock.

Dissolution

Your Wilderness

91pQ4Q4i-qL._SX466_.jpg

I found this at the library.  There are liner notes which may help to explain the album title or Mr. Young's demented ramblings about having seen Judy Garland in the audience (this some 7 years after her demise) which go on and on and on as he even describes what she was wearing!  The liner notes may even describe where/when this music was recorded other than "November 1976" as stated on the back of the CD case.  However, the liner notes by Cameron Crowe and some other dude are all in a white, very stern font on a black background.  This may rate highly somehow in hipster cred, but it rates very poorly as far as actual usability goes; my eyestrain easily defeated my level of curiosity, so it will be up to some one else to try to wade through that muck and see if there are any answers there.

The music is okay.  Solo Neil Young.  If you like that sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you'll like.