What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Earlier .... :

143183-huge.jpg?1395948038

Love where Ravi Shankar acknowledges the early rapturous applause, saying something like "Thank you very much, and if you enjoyed our tuning up this much, we think you'll really like our performance".

I assume it's age-related, but why not search for musicians who have developed since then? I've found many great records in every decade. Sometimes you have to look a little harder than others, but it's all out there.

I love the 60s-70s music that I grew up with as much as the next person, but I played those albums to death. I'd rather hear some artists with fresh ideas (often based on the old stuff) who I can also see live. 

But ... I know I'm in the minority.

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'd be more inclined to think that it speaks to the typical age of most forum members. 😉

"MOST" - yes. :D
I don't participate in this subforum much but there ARE others than the "mosts". I guess I am one. ^_^ However, MY non-jazz listening (like my jazz listening incidentally) in most cases is definitely NOT related to my age either but rather to the styles of music I prefer, and these originally were recorded in the 1945-60 (or 65) period, and at 59 I certainly am not THAT old myself ... In fact except for a scant few exceptions I have never ever been moved by the "contemporary" rock music I was exposed to in the 70s. No regrets, regardless of whatever those who inevitabley will blurt out about "missed out" or whatever ... It just didn't do much for me (isolated exceptions - from all decades since - tending to confirm the rule)
Actually rock from that period (50s plus a few years before and after) has always had its niche through the decades following the r'n'r era and there IS a subculture ("rockabilly" in the wider sense, though I have a hunch average US listeners not truly immersed in that subculture will interpet this not exactly the same way that "Yurpeens" will :D) that does build on these styles and to this day adds new touches, variations and evolutions WITHIN the genre. There will inevitably be "prog" listeners out there to whom this is "old hat" or "rehashing" or whatever but who cares? It just is a matter of personal preferences. (And if you listen close enough, overall there is not more rehashing than in many other pop or rock fads that have come and gone since the 60s and up to now - didn't "Brit Pop" lean rather heavily on the sound patterns of certain species of late 60s pop, for example?).

I wonder how many there are out there among the forumists who in their rock and pop listening have NOT been attracted from Day One by the current rock/pop of their formative youth years but by music from other periods which they have embraced with much more interest and pleasure than what was just "current" (regardless of whether it was chart fare or niche-y underground stuff)?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I was born in 1971; hence, in my childhood and teenage years I was exposed to many different rock styles: progressive, glam, 70s and 80s hard rock, punk, post-punk, ska, New Wave and New Romantics, techno, gothic rock, Southern Rock, Brit pop, metal in all its different sub-styles, Paisley Underground, the so-called Urban Rock here in Spain...

But I discovered 60s and early 70s rock very soon in my teens, and it is still that music that I return to most often when I put aside jazz and blues... 

Of course it is good to discover new artists of top notch quality, but I can’t help getting back to CCR, Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Janis, Beatles, Cream, Yardbirds, Animals, early Rolling Stones, Who, Kinks, Dylan, Beach Boys, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, Byrds, The Band, Small Faces and so many more!

Edited by EKE BBB

I came of age in the 60s so I grew up with all the groups mentioned by Agustin, plus the Association, Paul Revere, Animals, Spencer Davis, Herman's Hermits, Four Tops, and so forth (as my son says, let's not go down memory lane), together with all the other groups who were one hit wonders or didn't enjoy much success like Question Mark and the Mysterians, Napoleon XXIII (They're Coming To Take Me Away, a classic) and so on. I also listened to Tom Jones before he went Hollywood and Englebert Humperdinck. Segue to the 80s and I just didn't hear much that interested or moved.  A lot of forgettable pop although I'm sure it means something to people who grew up at that time just like the pop in the 60s means something to me. 

For a long time I didn't listen to the music of my childhood as I gravitated to blues and jazz but now I find myself returning to those halcyon days. I'm sure there is good music being made these days but I go back to the music of my youth. 

If you're into 60's rock music and you're on Facebook, there's a pretty good page you can subscribe to called "A Time Of Our Lives In The 60's."  Lots of talk about the usual suspects but some rarities as well, like the music of oddball, one off bands like "The Tongues of Truth."

If you've ever wondered what it would sound like to hear Keith Moon sing "Barbara Ann" with The Who, look no further.

Talking about Spanish hard rock from the 90s...

A244E17B-D3C9-41FA-859B-9571164F7518.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dave James said:

If you're into 60's rock music and you're on Facebook, there's a pretty good page you can subscribe to called "A Time Of Our Lives In The 60's."  Lots of talk about the usual suspects but some rarities as well, like the music of oddball, one off bands like "The Tongues of Truth."

If you've ever wondered what it would sound like to hear Keith Moon sing "Barbara Ann" with The Who, look no further.

Thanks for the hint, Dave. Will check it out 

Another thing that attracts me to continually look for contemporary bands (in whatever genre) is that I'm big live music fan. After all, what grabbed me in my early days was the energy and excitement of seeing the bands I loved on stage. For the most part all those bands from 40-50 years ago are largely dead, retired or (if still active) are a shell of their former selves and touring as self-made tribute bands. Catching a contemporary artist playing in a club or small-ish venue is much more exciting to me than seeing one of those older bands rehashing their oldies in a large theater or arena.

I really enjoy going back to my chosen era and discovering things that were not widely heard then.  There was too much good stuff all at once then for it all to be absorbed.  Currently listening to and greatly enjoying this.  I appreciate mid-50's (the rock pioneers, especially Buddy Holly) through the 80's (especially U2, REM), but concentrate on British Invasion through dawn of Punk.   

Neon - Expanded Edition

1 hour ago, felser said:

I really enjoy going back to my chosen era and discovering things that were not widely heard then.  There was too much good stuff all at once then for it all to be absorbed.  Currently listening to and greatly enjoying this.  I appreciate mid-50's (the rock pioneers, especially Buddy Holly) through the 80's (especially U2, REM), but concentrate on British Invasion through dawn of Punk.   

Neon - Expanded Edition

I only know their two hits, Red Rubber Ball and Turn Down Day, which were great songs. 

Now listening to Paul Butterfield’s Better Days. 

CCFE9027-18EF-427B-BAD3-EF6C98652FA8.jpeg

Edited by Brad