What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Brad said:

I assume this is a play on words of Platero y Yo, which I read years ago. A lot of borrachearía going on ;)

You're right, it is a play on words with Juan Ramón Jiménez's book. 

Platero Y Tú was very popular in the Spanish hard rock scene of the 90s, building on the success of heavy rock bands from the 80s like Barón Rojo (who got some success even out of Spain and recorded in the UK) or Obús. 

Being from the Basque Country (Bilbao) and living through very complicated times there, they kept away from the very politized scene of Rock Radical Vasco and, on the contrary, they offered a good dose of urban rock, with 95% of their lyrics in Spanish and not in Euskera, focused on sex, drugs and rock and roll with a small and contained portion of the classic anti-system pose. 

Singer and leader Fito Cabrales has got even more popular with his new band since the early 2000s, Fito y los Fitipaldis. They have even reached the Top Ten in the Hit Lists from formula radios with a nice mix of pop and rock. He has betrayed his fans from the 90s, though. 😉

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

One of the best box set collections EVER! Thanks, Lenny Kaye!

Landmark reissue when the 2LP set coame out in the early 70's.  We owe a LOT to that set and Lenny Kaye, as the whole garage rediscovery (one of my great joys) was fueled by it.  Plus it's just a great listen!  And the box set and some of the followup box sets are great, too.   "Children of Nuggets" led me to the whole Paisley Underground scene, which I also love.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Landmark reissue when the 2LP set coame out in the early 70's.  We owe a LOT to that set and Lenny Kaye, as the whole garage rediscovery (one of my great joys) was fueled by it.  Plus it's just a great listen!  And the box set and some of the followup box sets are great, too.   "Children of Nuggets" led me to the whole Paisley Underground scene, which I also love.

A fellow Paisley Underground fanatic here. Have we already talked about the recent 3 x 4 release, on which four of the bands reunited to cover one another’s songs? One of my overall favorites for 2019, to be sure. Re Nuggets, I have the excellent Nuggets II box that draws on the late-60s British scene (bought both of these with an employee discount when I worked at Borders in the late 1990s) and just yesterday was inspired to order a used copy of the San Francisco Nuggets box as well. I’d love to also pick up the Los Angeles set, but it seems scarcer and more expensive. As excited as I am to see Patti Smith tomorrow night, I’ll also feel the need to genuflect before Mr. Kaye on the strength of the original Nuggets compilation alone.

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

A fellow Paisley Underground fanatic here. Have we already talked about the recent 3 x 4 release, on which four of the bands reunited to cover one another’s songs? One of my overall favorites for 2019, to be sure. Re Nuggets, I have the excellent Nuggets II box that draws on the late-60s British scene (bought both of these with an employee discount when I worked at Borders in the late 1990s) and just yesterday was inspired to order a used copy of the San Francisco Nuggets box as well. I’d love to also pick up the Los Angeles set, but it seems scarcer and more expensive. As excited as I am to see Patti Smith tomorrow night, I’ll also feel the need to genuflect before Mr. Kaye on the strength of the original Nuggets compilation alone.

Have not heard the 3 x 4, wasn't sure what to make of it at this late date, but will look to pick it up based on your recommendation.  I have all four of the boxes you mention.  the L.A. box is very worthwhile, thought not at extreme prices.  Worth waiting for one priced decently.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Have not heard the 3 x 4, wasn't sure what to make of it at this late date, but will look to pick it up based on your recommendation.  I have all four of the boxes you mention.  the L.A. box is very worthwhile, thought not at extreme prices.  Worth waiting for one priced decently.

I keep meaning to listen to the 3x4 album, but haven't gotten around to it. BTW, the new Dream Syndicate album is excellent!

About Nuggets, I got the double album when it came out and then the box as well. I wish I had picked up Sons of Nuggets, but it was OOP and expensive by the time I decided to get it. I do have the SF and LA Nuggets - nice packaging and interesting collections, but they don't hold up as well as the original.

Oh, and one more ... I have the Cowabunga surf box, too! How could I forget??

Edited by BFrank