What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, BFrank said:

Those are some iconic albums! Especially for a band with such a short lifespan.

Supergroup in the whole meaning of the word!

Talkin' about Clapton-related supergroups, next I will revisit Derek & the Dominos and Blind Faith even smaller output... ^_^

But first:

R-2906892-1306677383.jpeg.jpg R-2906892-1551133798-8334.jpeg.jpg

10 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Supergroup in the whole meaning of the word!

Talkin' about Clapton-related supergroups, next I will revisit Derek & the Dominos and Blind Faith even smaller output... ^_^

But first:

It could be argued (by me ;)) that Jack Bruce was the true visionary of that group. I love Eric, but he stopped evolving in the mid-70s.

2 hours ago, BFrank said:

It could be argued (by me ;)) that Jack Bruce was the true visionary of that group. I love Eric, but he stopped evolving in the mid-70s.

For that matter, I might argue Felix Pappalardi was the true visionary.   I do own a lot more Bruce solo than Clapton solo.

1 hour ago, felser said:

His composing.  He had a style.  "White Room", "We're Going Wrong", "As You Said", "Deserted Cities of the Heart", "I Feel Free", "NSU".

Yes. Far more advanced as a composer and it becomes more obvious in his post-Cream albums both as a leader and sideman. His playing was also more original - not strictly based on American blues players.

"Harmony Row" is a 'Desert Island Disk' for me.

9 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Yes. Far more advanced as a composer and it becomes more obvious in his post-Cream albums both as a leader and sideman. His playing was also more original - not strictly based on American blues players.

"Harmony Row" is a 'Desert Island Disk' for me.

Bruce, as good as he was, remains a massively underrated bass player.  Both he and Baker came from jazz backgrounds and that opened their ears in ways that most rockers couldn't imagine.  When people throw around the term "super group", there aren't many who legitimately qualify.  Cream was one of them.  Baker, Bruce and Clapton were virtuosoes on their respective instruments.  

3 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Bruce, as good as he was, remains a massively underrated bass player.  Both he and Baker came from jazz backgrounds and that opened their ears in ways that most rockers couldn't imagine.  When people throw around the term "super group", there aren't many who legitimately qualify.  Cream was one of them.  Baker, Bruce and Clapton were virtuosoes on their respective instruments.  

Absolutely! He had an instantly recognizable sound. NObody played bass like Jack. He was an early member of the Tony Williams Lifetime, played with Carla Bley and contributed mightily to a number of Kip Hanrahan albums, among many others.

7 hours ago, Brad said:

One of my all time favorites. 

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_1048-M.jpg

The original Messenger Service with John Cipollina and Gary Duncan was the most kick-ass band in the early San Francisco scene.  Anyone who doesn't have their self-titled first album and "Happy Trails" in their collection should turn themselves in to the authorities immediately.  IMO, those are two of the best rock albums of the late 60's.  

Also, If you haven't heard any of Gary Duncan's records from his spin-off band, "Quicksilver" I would highly recommend a test drive..  

8 hours ago, felser said:

His composing.  He had a style.  "White Room", "We're Going Wrong", "As You Said", "Deserted Cities of the Heart", "I Feel Free", "NSU".

Yes, true, but without Clapton, they're not the same band, especially without the Blues influences. 

6 hours ago, Dave James said:

The original Messenger Service with John Cipollina and Gary Duncan was the most kick-ass band in the early San Francisco scene.  Anyone who doesn't have their self-titled first album and "Happy Trails" in their collection should turn themselves in to the authorities immediately.  IMO, those are two of the best rock albums of the late 60's.  

Also, If you haven't heard any of Gary Duncan's records from his spin-off band, "Quicksilver" I would highly recommend a test drive..  

Without a doubt. 

9 hours ago, Dave James said:

:tup  Nobody sounded like John Cipollina.    "The Fool" is still absolutely stunning and unique 50+ years later, as is much of the rest of the first album and almost all of the second album.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Yes, true, but without Clapton, they're not the same band, especially without the Blues influences.  

I agree with that.  They each brought an important aspect.  Yet I never found their live work nearly as compelling as their studio work (and it was very different).

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

I have yet to explore a good part of the QMS's recorded output. But definitely I agree that their first two LPs are simply superb!

Now listening:

R-2949219-1485184845-8298.jpeg.jpg R-2949219-1565478722-3472.jpeg.jpg

No idea how "Don't Look Back" didn't become a huge hit.    Re: QMS - they became a very different group afterwards,with the addition of Nicky Hopkins and then Dino Valente.   Some very good cuts, some not so good cuts, but all a whole different bag than the first two albums.

Edited by felser

30 minutes ago, felser said:

No idea how "Don't Look Back" didn't become a huge hit.    Re: QMS - they became a very different group afterwards,with the addition of Nicky Hopkins and then Dino Valente.   Some very good cuts, some not so good cuts, but all a whole different bag than the first two albums.

Just heard "Don't Look Back" a few days ago as I began to revisit the Nuggets box-set.  Great track!