What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

American version, the one I grew up with (and prefer--in fact, I think Aftermath U.S. version continues to be my favorite Stones album of all):

R-765072-1337691767-5411.jpeg.jpg

I suppose it depends what you grew up with but UK version has 14 songs vs 11 songs. All you need to say. Plus, the cover is just not as good. 

Edited by Brad

I think it all comes down to what you grew up with and how you hear the songs in your head. For example, I was listening to My Generation a couple of days ago and after hearing the title song, I was expecting The Kids Are Allright and so it followed. Mind you, I probably haven’t listened to the album in 30 years.

The same discussion happens with albums like Rubber Soul and Revolver. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I think it all comes down to what you grew up with and how you hear the songs in your head. For example, I was listening to My Generation a couple of days ago and after hearing the title song, I was expecting The Kids Are Allright and so it followed. Mind you, I probably haven’t listened to the album in 30 years.

The same discussion happens with albums like Rubber Soul and Revolver. 

Yep. I find it jarring to hear the end of Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" without "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)" kicking in.

Some of the commentary I’ve read on Aftermath say that Going Home works better on the US album because it’s the last song on the album where on the UK version it’s at the end of side 1. I do agree it works better as the last song on the album. 

Edited by Brad

I don't understand why they can't just combine all Aftermath tracks on a single CD. Surely they would fit? Same for Let It Bleed. Why not include Honky Tonk Women as a bonus?

I noticed there is a 50th anniversary set coming out for Let It Bleed: mono + stereo vinyls, 2 Hybrid SACDs (mono & stereo), and a bonus 7" of Honk Tonk Women (mono & stereo on a & b sides), but no Honky Tonk Women on either Hybrid SACD. Same for the standalone 50th anniversary Hybrid SACD. :tdown Pure bullshit IMO. :lol:

Edited by erwbol

I just generally make a CD-R of the version that I prefer--for example, the Psychedelic Furs' Talk Talk Talk.  I grew up with the U.S. version; the UK version has the exact same songs, but a different and IMO inferior sequencing.  So I just dumped the files from the CD into my computer and resequenced them in the American running order, then burned a CD-R of it.  Iirc the Stones' catalogue was reissued in both US and UK versions in the early 2000s, and I've ended up with store-bought copies of both Aftermaths.  I was prepared to give the UK version a go and it's still a very good album, but the American version is a hands-down favorite for me.  

With the Beatles, I grew up with the U.S. versions of the albums (just through Revolver, of course), but much prefer the original UK versions, which have been used as the playlists for the primary CD releases of the albums since 1987.  That said, I recently reconstructed Yesterday And Today, one of the American-assembled albums that Capitol culled from the UK releases out of greed... and it's a really good album on its own merits.  Whoever sequenced it (Dave Dexter?) did a great job.