What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Marzz said:

Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures, vol.5 (Kent/Ace)

dave-godin-s-deep-soul-treasures-vol-5-e

What is your impression .... ? To me these Dave Godin hommage compilations seem always to be uneven (without even starting to re-discuss Godin`s misconception of "Deep Soul") .... still some gems on offer here like "I Ain't Got To Love Nobody Else" by The Masqueraders, "(Until Then) I'll Suffer" by Barbara Lynn, "I Will" by Lattimore Brown,"Satisfaction Guaranteed" by Judy White ....

On 11/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, soulpope said:

What is your impression .... ? To me these Dave Godin hommage compilations seem always to be uneven (without even starting to re-discuss Godin`s misconception of "Deep Soul") .... still some gems on offer here like "I Ain't Got To Love Nobody Else" by The Masqueraders, "(Until Then) I'll Suffer" by Barbara Lynn, "I Will" by Lattimore Brown,"Satisfaction Guaranteed" by Judy White ....

Oh yes I definitely agree with you, the series is uneven. I've always assumed/accepted that these compilations sought to tap into the "collector" market. I know that market is strong down here but unfortunately many "collectors" equate rarity with quality. You know, it's rare/prev. unreleased and therefore a masterpiece!!

Still, overall I really like this series. Going by memory, I don't recall anything terrible on here, but a few just ok. You got me thinking, so I'll dig these out tonight to refresh my memory. The strongest tracks are indeed superb, but not particularly rare. Artists most Soul fans would probably already have in their collections. Though Kenny Carter, Timmy Willis (and others) were highlights for me back in the nineties. 

The 5 volumes would make an unbeatable 2 CD set, no?

Now playing - Taj Mahal for me this morning (The Natch'l Blues)

Taj-Mahal-the-natch-l-blues.jpg

Edited by Marzz

6 hours ago, Marzz said:

Oh yes I definitely agree with you, the series is uneven. I've always assumed/accepted that these compilations sought to tap into the "collector" market. I know that market is strong down here but unfortunately many "collectors" equate rarity with quality ....

The strongest tracks are indeed superb, but not particularly rare. Artists most Soul fans would probably already have in their collections ....

The 5 volumes would make an unbeatable 2 CD set, no?

Fully agreed ....