What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Marzz said:

.... but not particularly rare. Artists most Soul fans would probably already have in their collections. Though Kenny Carter, Timmy Willis (and others) were highlights for me back in the nineties. 

The 5 volumes would make an unbeatable 2 CD set, no?

What would be your Ace Deep Soul Compilation choices where they got it right both from the collector`s and the music`s perspective ..... ?

I would award some of these .... :

Various Artists 

59d2fedc40.jpg

Anmerkung-2019-11-18-193832.jpg

Individual Artists :

4dbb5d2dd0.jpg

Anmerkung-2019-11-18-193017.jpg

Not the sonic revelation I was hoping for, and no liner notes, and less bonus material than the "Message in a Box" set from 25 years ago.   That being said, the packaging is nice (full minl-lp's with gatefolds), no real problems with the sound, the missing live bonus material is not of much value (I never found their live material compelling compared to the studio recordings), and it cost me $22 shipped from Amazon UK for the six CD set.  If you have "Message in a Box", you probably don't need too bother with this.  If you don't, this is the way to go.

Image result for police the studio recordings"

3 hours ago, felser said:

Not the sonic revelation I was hoping for, and no liner notes, and less bonus material than the "Message in a Box" set from 25 years ago.   That being said, the packaging is nice (full minl-lp's with gatefolds), no real problems with the sound, the missing live bonus material is not of much value (I never found their live material compelling compared to the studio recordings), and it cost me $22 shipped from Amazon UK for the six CD set.  If you have "Message in a Box", you probably don't need too bother with this.  If you don't, this is the way to go.

Image result for police the studio recordings"

Thanks for the comments, felser. I might consider getting this box.

Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance

leonard-cohen-thanks-for-the-dance.jpg

I only heard about this posthumous release today, so I am absorbing it in real time.  First impressions are that it is (not surprisingly) pretty similar to You Want It Darker.  I'd say that Adam Cohen (Leonard's son) has done a good job pulling these unfinished tracks together.  I'm a moderate (not huge) Cohen fan, and I can envision spinning this on a semi-regular basis.

Couple of reviews - https://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/review-leonard-cohens-spirit-moves-us-on-thanks-for-the-dance

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/leonard-cohen-thanks-for-the-dance-review-columbia