What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

I couldn't disagree more. Sam Cooke was simply great!

Definitely! 

I picked this up recently.  I’m not sure what I was thinking except that I must have liked it when I was younger. Except for Darlin and one or two other songs, the songs seemed flat, or thin (as one reviewer labeled it).

9F3511EF-4F88-45FE-AA9E-A7B3CB3B3B6D.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Simon8 said:

Jorgeben_samba_esquema_novo.jpg

Nice one. 

Edited by Brad

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Definitely! 

I picked this up recently.  I’m not sure what I was thinking except that I must have liked it when I was younger. Except for Darlin and one or two other songs, the songs seemed flat, or thin (as one reviewer labeled it).

9F3511EF-4F88-45FE-AA9E-A7B3CB3B3B6D.jpeg

It has its ragged charms ("Here Comes The Night", "I Was Made To Love Her"),. and  "Darlin" is pretty great, but it's no 'Pet Sounds' for sure, and is really very slight (both album sides run right at 12 minutes each).  I own it and am glad I do, and play it and their other albums from 'Smiley Smile' through 'Holland' often enough (and play 'Today', 'Summer Days and Summer Nights', and 'Pet Sounds' a lot more).  

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

My favorite Sam Cooke single was his Tennessee Waltz, which was popular around August of '64 as I recall.  I think his estate owns it, and I don't see it re-released like I do his other hits.

That is the case with a lot of the cuts recorded in the last year or so of his life.  Here's the best way to get them:  My favorite by him is the immortal "A Change Is Gonna Come", though I also like a lot of the hits such as "Wonderful World", "Chain Gang", "Twistin' the Night Away", "Havin' A Party", "Cupid", "Shake".

Image result for sam cooke keep movin on"

Image result for sam cooke keep movin on"

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

1/1/70, second set

JimiHendrix_SongsForGroovyChildren_CDbox

How is the sound quality?

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

John, the New Orleans radio stations of my youth abstained from songs of liberal politics.  So A Change is Gonna Come, Eve of Destruction, Abraham, Martin & John and Society's Child did not see the light of day there.

I lived in Huntsville, Alabama 1965-1967, so I also never heard some of those at the time.   Especially conspicuous in its absence was "Eve of Destruction", which had been a #1 song nationally, and my 11-year old self, permanently attached to a transistor radio, didn't know it existed.  But they weren't gonna play lyrics like "Talk About the Hate There Is in Red China, then take a look around to Selma, Alabama".  I know I heard AM&J a lot, as I was in Cincinnati by then (it was a huge hit there), but don't think I heard the other three during their chart runs.  All great records.

9 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

The old RCA comp The Man and His Music was my introduction to Sam. IMO the song selection was perfect; unfortunately the sound was atrocious. It took me four different sources to recreate the playlist with remastered versions: 

Complete Recordings of Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers
Keep Movin' On 
The Man Who Invented Soul
Portrait of a Legend

samcooke.jpg

Agreed on the song selection (perfect) and the sound (atrocious) on that one.  I don't need the Soul Stirrers material beyond what is on 'Portrait of a Legend', but own the other three titles.   Not sure I need to keep 'The Man Who Invented Soul', but glad to have listened to it.  'Keep Movin On' and 'Portrait of a Legend' are permanent keepers, and perfect complements to each other.

14 hours ago, felser said:

It has its ragged charms ("Here Comes The Night", "I Was Made To Love Her"),. and  "Darlin" is pretty great, but it's no 'Pet Sounds' for sure, and is really very slight (both album sides run right at 12 minutes each).  I own it and am glad I do, and play it and their other albums from 'Smiley Smile' through 'Holland' often enough (and play 'Today', 'Summer Days and Summer Nights', and 'Pet Sounds' a lot more).  

I listened to it again and it grows on you a little bit. Mama Says is a bit unusual.

This morning:

E065CF69-BFF3-4753-A655-3032F06A8DC2.jpeg

Edited by Brad

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

This morning:

E065CF69-BFF3-4753-A655-3032F06A8DC2.jpeg

They did some really good cuts early on - "Incense and Peppermints" and "Tomorrow" of course, and also some of the album cuts like "The World's On Fire", "Black Butter", and "Paxton's Back Street Carnival". And I much prefer their "Good Morning Starshine" (from 'Hair') to the hit version by Oliver.  They also had a lot of junk and filler on their albums.  Interesting group, and Ed King went on to Lynyrd Skynyrd, which I would not have expected.

5 hours ago, felser said:

How is the sound quality?

The audio of the Hendrix box is the best I've heard yet. Excellent! If you're only familiar with the original Band of Gypsys or the 1999 release of Live at the Fillmore East, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how great this sounds.

Edited by BFrank

6 hours ago, felser said:

They did some really good cuts early on - "Incense and Peppermints" and "Tomorrow" of course, and also some of the album cuts like "The World's On Fire", "Black Butter", and "Paxton's Back Street Carnival". And I much prefer their "Good Morning Starshine" (from 'Hair') to the hit version by Oliver.  They also had a lot of junk and filler on their albums.  Interesting group, and Ed King went on to Lynyrd Skynyrd, which I would not have expected.

Didn’t know about the Lynyrd Skynyrd thing. This album is the only one I want to have although I like their version of Good Morning Sunshine. 

RS republished their Arlo Guthrie interview today.  Cool stuff.

Arlo Guthrie Looks Back on 50 Years of ‘Alice’s Restaurant’

On 11/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, Brad said:

Didn’t know about the Lynyrd Skynyrd thing. This album is the only one I want to have although I like their version of Good Morning Sunshine. 

RS republished their Arlo Guthrie interview today.  Cool stuff.

Arlo Guthrie Looks Back on 50 Years of ‘Alice’s Restaurant’

Yeah, thanks for posting.  Nice interview.

5 hours ago, Brad said:

In February of next year a four cd box of Goodbye Cream will be reissued including a lot of material never heard before.

Final Tour 1968: 4CD Boxset + Exclusive Print Cream

So far the only other site that has it listed is Bullmoose. 

Will be interested to see if there is really different new material, or just "versions". 

6 hours ago, felser said:

Will be interested to see if there is really different new material, or just "versions". 

WOW!

"This is the first authorised release of these four historic complete 1968 concerts. Each concert features previously unreleased tracks and the Royal Albert Hall show hasn’t featured on CD until now.

This historic collection was produced by Bill Levenson. The Oakland Coliseum, Los Angeles Forum and San Diego Sports Arena concerts were mastered from the original 1968 analog mix reels by Kevin Reeves at Universal Mastering, Nashville, TN. The Royal Albert Hall concert was mastered from the original 1968 analog transfer reels by Jason NeSmith at Chase Park Transduction, Athens, GA.

The set features 36 tracks of which 29 are issued for the first time."

Article in RS about the Cream set.

Cream Collect Four Complete Concerts for ‘Goodbye Tour Live 1968’ Box Set

“The four-CD set, out February 7th, 2020 and available to preorder now, features the three of band’s October 1968 California concerts – Oakland, Los Angeles and San Diego – as well as Cream’s November 26th, 1968 farewell gig from London’s Royal Albert Hall. Of the box set’s 36 tracks, 29 were previously available on CD, with 19 of those unreleased entirely.

Goodbye Tour Live 1968 marks the first authorized release of the four concerts – all freshly mastered from the original tapes – as well as the first CD release of the Royal Albert Hall gig, which was previously only available on DVD. The set also features liner notes penned by David Fricke.”