What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51XfeZz4keL._SX355_.jpg

I know it's not rock music, but it's certainly not jazz either, so it goes in this category.  I have a number of these Ben Bagley produced discs and enjoy them as a means of discovering some lesser known works by an assortment of famous American pop music composers.  Take the following tune found on this disc.  I don't know how long Mr. Kern spent on this little tune -- probably not as long as he spent on "All The Things You Are" -- , but it's worth 2 minutes of your day.  Mr. Kern's C+ material could match some other composers A material.

Such  a simple and sweet melody -- and if "simple and sweet" were easy, then every one would be writing them that way.  Obviously, "they don't write 'em like that any more".  That song is from 1921, almost a hundred years ago.  Our world is not that world any longer, so one neither could nor should write songs like that now.  But I'm glad they did write songs like this once, and I'm glad they are preserved as little mementos of times gone by, souvenirs of worlds and  lives we can only imagine now.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Helped define the era, as did the next two albums.  BOTW helped define a different era.

I still remember when I first heard the Sounds of Silence, plus I was an usher when the Graduate came out (saw the movie some 50 odd times) so the song is imprinted in my brain.

Today:

42272D96-E013-4119-8E32-83AE9B6BDE38.jpeg

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I still remember when I first heard the Sounds of Silence, plus I was an usher when the Graduate came out (saw the movie some 50 odd times) so the song is imprinted in my brain.

Today:

42272D96-E013-4119-8E32-83AE9B6BDE38.jpeg

Picked this up for $3 recently and really glad I did.  She is Charlie Haden's daughter, and does the entire album acapella with overdubs of just her voice, incredible how she does things like guitar effects etc.

Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out

Edited by felser

6 hours ago, felser said:

Worth the purchase price?

I've always been a huge FZ fan and was planning on buying it. But I streamed it first and was very underwhelmed. Some interesting stuff for sure, but overall too many re-starts, rehearsal noodling and studio chatter to make it an enjoyable listening experience. 

I'm sure many will disagree.