What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

19 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I've always been a huge FZ fan and was planning on buying it. But I streamed it first and was very underwhelmed. Some interesting stuff for sure, but overall too many re-starts, rehearsal noodling and studio chatter to make it an enjoyable listening experience. 

I'm sure many will disagree.

JIm Duckworth and I match up well taste-wise, so look forward to getting his thoughts, but right now I'm a pretty solid "no" as far as laying out that kind of money for it, and your feedback further strengthens that decision, thanks.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having listened to three of the five discs of unreleased material in the Hot Rats set, I must report that I, a devoted Zappa consumer, am finding the set inessential.  It was with great interest that I sat down with this set, but soon found my interest waning and my frustration mounting.  I'm finding the knick knacks and gee gaws that the Zappa estate includes in some of their multi disc sets useless at best.  The chances are better than good that I will never even look at the board game included in this set  I'm guessing that this set could be boiled down to a nice two disc set that would have included the original mix and the more generally listenable tracks.  So far, iam not feeling inclined to compile a single disc playlist from this sprawling mess.

Needless to say, my opinions are subject to change....

On 12/31/2019 at 9:35 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

Having listened to three of the five discs of unreleased material in the Hot Rats set, I must report that I, a devoted Zappa consumer, am finding the set inessential.  It was with great interest that I sat down with this set, but soon found my interest waning and my frustration mounting.  I'm finding the knick knacks and gee gaws that the Zappa estate includes in some of their multi disc sets useless at best.  The chances are better than good that I will never even look at the board game included in this set  I'm guessing that this set could be boiled down to a nice two disc set that would have included the original mix and the more generally listenable tracks.  So far, iam not feeling inclined to compile a single disc playlist from this sprawling mess.

Needless to say, my opinions are subject to change....

Pretty much agree here ... unfortunately. Two-three disks max would have been reasonable.

On 12/31/2019 at 7:53 PM, felser said:

JIm Duckworth and I match up well taste-wise, so look forward to getting his thoughts, but right now I'm a pretty solid "no" as far as laying out that kind of money for it, and your feedback further strengthens that decision, thanks.

Yep. 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:26 AM, Brad said:

637AA4F7-02DC-4ABE-B0EA-B1A59EABFB68.jpeg

I picked that up when it was released and hated it at first - sloppy! But the more I listened the better it seemed, especially the energy of the times. It's not Bless It's Pointed Little Head (one of the best live albums of its day), but a reasonable companion piece.

FWIW, I had an opportunity to hang out with Jorma several years ago and asked him what he thought about Pointed Little Head and he said it was some if his favorite Airplane music.

2 hours ago, BFrank said:

I picked that up when it was released and hated it at first - sloppy! But the more I listened the better it seemed, especially the energy of the times. It's not Bless It's Pointed Little Head (one of the best live albums of its day), but a reasonable companion piece.

FWIW, I had an opportunity to hang out with Jorma several years ago and asked him what he thought about Pointed Little Head and he said it was some if his favorite Airplane music.

Pretty neat that you were able to hang out with him. I agree that it’s a little sloppy or maybe just as good as their studio performances, e.g., White Rabbit. For some reason I don’t have Pointed Little Head. Probably had it at some point years ago. 

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

I have to spin BIPLH one of these days, I have a nice original pressing of that.

Edited by porcy62

10 hours ago, felser said:

Great sound given the age and locale.  Excellent music, well worth the investment.

Image result for hendrix songs for groovy"

1,000%

My favorite set of the year ... or MORE

On 1/2/2020 at 7:03 PM, Brad said:

Pretty neat that you were able to hang out with him. I agree that it’s a little sloppy or maybe just as good as their studio performances, e.g., White Rabbit. For some reason I don’t have Pointed Little Head. Probably had it at some point years ago. 

I went to his guitar camp at the Fur Peace Ranch in southern Ohio a couple of times. Fun experience and great to hang with him and Jack and whoever else is teaching that weekend. But it's not cheap, and getting there from SF is challenging. As much as i enjoyed it, I realized I could learn a lot more and for much less money here in SF. Still ... I might go again one of these days