What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jlhoots said:

6 CDs - I might buy it just for the cover.

Inexpensive (well under $30), beautifully executed  box set, and some of the music is great.  Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards (Chic) did wonderful work with them on the two albums they did together.  Rodgers/Edwards/Thompson were the rhythm section that most sounded like the beat of life to my blood.

7 minutes ago, felser said:

Great set.  Is the "old buddy" a literal reference?

Oh, yes.  I did my first tours with Alex and we spent a good bit of time together-mostly doing things that I am not comfortable discussing.  The last time I saw him, I carried him by my house after a gig and he played Mercy Mercy Me on my old Gibson acoustic.

4 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Oh, yes.  I did my first tours with Alex and we spent a good bit of time together-mostly doing things that I am not comfortable discussing.  The last time I saw him, I carried him by my house after a gig and he played Mercy Mercy Me on my old Gibson acoustic.

Passionate Big Star devotee now genuflecting to your sheer holy awesomeness, sir.

R-5411684-1493860260-1115.jpeg.jpg

Discs 1 & 2 of 2.  This collection is "Vol. 2" and most of her career defining big hits are included in the first volume.  This second helping of 50 classic 1960's & 70's tracks is not mere leftovers.  There is plenty of variety:  showtunes, songs sung in French, songs written/co-written by Ms. Clark, ballads, covers of rock hits and even a few Tony Hatch tunes.  Some of it feels a bit like filler and not all of it works flawlessly.  Her version of "Lover Man" is uninspired.  But then there is this unexpectedly enchanting transformation revealing a lovely song I never knew existed beneath all the drum banging and incessant caterwauling that went on in the original hit version --

Maybe that is just "elevator music" to some, but for me, Pet's voice + that orchestration = pure pop heaven.

20 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

R-5411684-1493860260-1115.jpeg.jpg

Discs 1 & 2 of 2.  This collection is "Vol. 2" and most of her career defining big hits are included in the first volume.  This second helping of 50 classic 1960's & 70's tracks is not mere leftovers.  There is plenty of variety:  showtunes, songs sung in French, songs written/co-written by Ms. Clark, ballads, covers of rock hits and even a few Tony Hatch tunes.  Some of it feels a bit like filler and not all of it works flawlessly.  Her version of "Lover Man" is uninspired.  But then there is this unexpectedly enchanting transformation revealing a lovely song I never knew existed beneath all the drum banging and incessant caterwauling that went on in the original hit version --

Maybe that is just "elevator music" to some, but for me, Pet's voice + that orchestration = pure pop heaven.

Glen Gould used to like her.  (Though maybe it was just Downtown.) 

20 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Passionate Big Star devotee now genuflecting to your sheer holy awesomeness, sir.

"September Gurls"  !!! One of the most perfect songs ever.

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Glen Gould used to like her.  (Though maybe it was just Downtown.) 

She did glorious records in the mid-60's, as did Dionne Warwick.  They still sound great today, every single from "Downtown" to "Don't Sleep in the Subway".  I play them relatively often.  It doesn't have to be rock or soul to be GREAT pop music.

New 3CD box of this, with complete 1974 concert added.  "Mother Russia" is as majestic as music gets, and "Things I Don't Understand" and "Running Hard" are other highlights.  And this stuff actually got played on FM radio here in Philly in the mid-70's.

Renaissance - Turn of the Cards - Amazon.com Music

Beatrice Dillon - Workaround

One of my occasional forays into contemporary electronic, dance related music. Pitchfork put it rather well

"Though the 14 tracks range in style and duration, from hypnotic club cuts to brief, abstracted etudes, they all share a palette of scratchy drum machine and glistening FM synths; virtually all are paced at roughly 150 beats per minute, so that they feel less like standalone compositions than variations upon a single, overarching theme."

or just, very good indeed, as I'd put it

Edited by mjazzg