What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, duaneiac said:

R-5380888-1416840441-4199.jpeg.jpg

Making my way through the Sussex/Columbia albums boxed set.  This album has "Paint Your Pretty Picture" (which I think I first heard in a version by Carmen McRae) and "Hello Like Before", but today I really appreciated this song --

A beauty ....

R-1099064-1575624958-3477.jpeg.jpg

This one is from 1977, so there is a decided disco influence on some of the music.  The next time you hear "Lovely Day", just pay attention to the cymbals  This song has so many strong components:  that rock solid bass line, strings which serve to uplift the music and keep it gliding along, the warm, honeyed, multi-tracked tones of Mr. Withers' voice and then this marvelous ongoing cymbal work that adds so much sizzle and spark to the tune.  I'm not sure if  Ralph McDonald or Russ Kunkel gets the credit for those cymbals, but the song sure would not have been the same without them.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, felser said:

Amazingly good.  By far the best rock record of 2019 that I am aware of.  

The Dream Syndicate - These Times (2019, CD) | Discogs

Yes a very good record. Nice to see Steve Wynn & Co. back on their game.

Their new album just came out and is very different. Basically an 80-minute jam divided up into 5 different "tunes" with a few vocal and horn overdubs here and there. Getting a lot of press.

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

Yes a very good record. Nice to see Steve Wynn & Co. back on their game.

Their new album just came out and is very different. Basically an 80-minute jam divided up into 5 different "tunes" with a few vocal and horn overdubs here and there. Getting a lot of press.

Awaiting arrival from Amazon, due in Monday-Tuesday.

Watching-You-Watching-Me-Withers-Album-C

His final album, from 1985,  Pay attention to Mr. Withers' facial expression here.  If you're looking for a kind of soulful, "quiet storm" make-out album, here ya go.    Bill Withers' voice makes it at least tolerable, but it's all pretty unconvincing -- just as his expression in that cover photo seems somewhat dubious  ("You sure you wanna buy this?  Really?  REALLY?").  Uninspired material, lackluster arrangements  -- this should have been, at best, a Peabo Bryson album.  If this was the type of material Columbia was pushing him to record, then hooray for Bill Withers for being able to walk away form the music "business" and lead a happy life.

I've never made it this far down in the boxed set before.  Doubt I shall be revisiting this disc anytime soon,

Any Brian Auger fans out there?  Back in 1969 when I was still in college and not at all interested in jazz, I got hooked by his song "Ellis Island" from the album "Street Noise".  I've always found his music to be at the very listenable end of the jazz-rock spectrum.