What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

Any Brian Auger fans out there?  Back in 1969 when I was still in college and not at all interested in jazz, I got hooked by his song "Ellis Island" from the album "Street Noise".  I've always found his music to be at the very listenable end of the jazz-rock spectrum.  

Have this one which is in that jazz-rock direction.

38345540mv.jpg

38345542ux.jpg

38345541sc.jpg

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dave James said:

Any Brian Auger fans out there?  Back in 1969 when I was still in college and not at all interested in jazz, I got hooked by his song "Ellis Island" from the album "Street Noise".  I've always found his music to be at the very listenable end of the jazz-rock spectrum.  

I'm a huge Auger fan, and this is the album that started it for me 50 years ago.

My current listen.  Unknown in USA, apparently a cultish following in UK.  A discovery for me, so far so good.

Judie Tzuke - Full Moon - The Complete Collection (2018, Box Set ...

On 4/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, Dave James said:

He toured with Roland Kirk:

"Brian Auger was a useful young bebop pianist with Tommy Whittle and others before switching to the Hammond organ in the year he made this tour with Kirk. In 1965 the Brian Auger Trinity was joined by Julie Driscoll, Rod Stewart and Long John Baldry to form the Steam Packet, a very fine live band who never had a proper recording session. The Driscoll/Auger version of “This Wheel’s on Fire”, a Bob Dylan/Rick Danko composition circulated on the original Basement Tapes publisher’s acetates, is on anyone’s list of great ’60 singles. Later Auger formed Oblivion Express and moved to California, where he still lives, aged 80".

https://thebluemoment.com/

Edited by medjuck

Just ran across this story about the Rolling Stones releasing a single called Living in a Ghost Town - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/23/the-rolling-stones-release-living-in-a-ghost-town-first-original-music-since-2012

The song was apparently written and recorded a couple of years ago, but they spiffed it up a bit and tweaked the lyrics to refer to the lock down and put it out for everyone to enjoy.  By no means their best work, but not bad...

The video is quite cool if eerie at times, showing downtowns that are completely empty.  I noticed that some shots of Toronto are embedded towards the end...

22 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Just ran across this story about the Rolling Stones releasing a single called Living in a Ghost Town - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/23/the-rolling-stones-release-living-in-a-ghost-town-first-original-music-since-2012

The song was apparently written and recorded a couple of years ago, but they spiffed it up a bit and tweaked the lyrics to refer to the lock down and put it out for everyone to enjoy.  By no means their best work, but not bad...

The video is quite cool if eerie at times, showing downtowns that are completely empty.  I noticed that some shots of Toronto are embedded towards the end...

Rolling Stone story:

Rolling Stones Drop New Song, ‘Living in a Ghost Town’

On 4/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, Dave James said:

This 2014 release is surprisingly good. Lots of energy.

R-7788141-1452179276-6463.jpeg.jpg