What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful late 60's folk rock, very akin to the first two Tim Buckley albums (and on the same label).  Noonan's vocal style and compositional style are both hauntingly similar to Buckley's from that period.   Contains four fine early Jackson Browne compositions.  Also contains Noonan's version of the beautiful "Buy For Me The Rain" (he wrote it), much better known as the first semi-hit by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

popsike.com - STEVE NOONAN - STEVE NOONAN (VINYL) 1968 ELEKTRA EKS ...

10 hours ago, Brad said:

Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues Volume 2 (LP)

7149B9F3-6CA5-446C-B643-AD8A87081634.jpeg

Just reading about the impact of those two 1960s Robert Johnson releases on Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, via Patrick Humphries' uneven but generally entertaining Rolling Stones 69.  Which is why this particular title is spinning right now:

220px-LetitbleedRS.jpg

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Just reading about the impact of those two 1960s Robert Johnson releases on Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, via Patrick Humphries' uneven but generally entertaining Rolling Stones 69.  Which is why this particular title is spinning right now:

220px-LetitbleedRS.jpg

That’s interesting. I wouldn’t have associated the Stones with him.  They’re more Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and some of the other 50s 60s Chess artists. If you told me Mike Bloomfield or Canned Heat was influenced by him, my reaction would be, yes, of course. 

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

220px-LetitbleedRS.jpg

13 hours ago, Brad said:

Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues Volume 2 (LP)

7149B9F3-6CA5-446C-B643-AD8A87081634.jpeg

I think this got more attention than Vol 1 because of when it came out and because of the cover drawing.  And then The Stones covered Love in Vain...... 

Last week I saw a TV commercial which used a segment of "Shelter From The Storm" as music.  I was so stunned, I did not even remember what the ad was for.  I did a search and found out it was for Zillow.  I guess if you gotta use music in your TV commercial, it may as well be from a Nobel Prize winner.  Mr. Zimmerman is free to do with his work as he likes, but I confess hearing that song, from that album used to peddle whatever -- I felt a little sad, a little disappointed, a little betrayed.  So it seemed appropriate to listen to the album, not that I ever really need a reason for listening to one of my favorite albums.

R-374993-1448887312-4272.jpeg.jpg

10 hours ago, medjuck said:

I think this got more attention than Vol 1 because of when it came out and because of the cover drawing.  And then The Stones covered Love in Vain...... 

Picked the LP version up in one of Tommy’s sales. 

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

Joe Jackson: Two Rainy Nights - Live in Seattle & Portland

Joe Jackson - Two Rainy Nights : : Live In Seattle & Portland ...

This live Joe album at the Roundabout Theatre, NY was also really good, and sounds GREAT because it was recorded direct to digital two-track.

R-651268-1515927421-6898.jpeg.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 0:49 AM, medjuck said:

I listened to both the Johnson version and the Stones version tonight and while I’ve always liked the Stones version, Robert Johnson conveys more emotion than the Stones do. I’m not saying their version was done by rote, just that you can feel more emotion, feeling, what have you in the original.