What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I listen to this one a lot, though I have it as mp3. The Talking Heads were and are one of my favorite bands and their Remain in light is, I think, their peak album. From 1980.

Yeah, I love that period and this live album (which tends to get overshadowed by its concert successor Stop Making Sense)... went back to it after reading the chapter about Talking Heads and Wire in Simon Reynolds' wonderful book Rip It Up And Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984 (highly recommended for anybody interested in that period of music).

Edited by ghost of miles

22 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I have another great book by Reynolds called Retromania: pop culture's addiction to its own past.

I just got that one several days ago—it’s next on the reading list after I finish Rip It Up.

On 10/2/2020 at 7:08 PM, Matthew said:

Wire Train: Between Two Words

In Between Words – Wire Train (1986) – Beatopolis

Wow, there’s a band I haven’t heard or thought about since I was a young’un! Iirc they were often grouped under the stylistic umbrella of early R.E.M.-type groups. I need to revisit their recordings.

Last night I was bopping around the house to this record, which I probably hadn’t listened to in 25 years or so. Blissfully good late 70s/turn of the 80s UK pop:

R-570478-1416539771-1581.jpeg.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

Other than her cover of The Beatles' "Help!" (which I never really cared for), this album holds up pretty well.  I forgot how much the title track wants/tries to be a jazz song.  And at least at the clubs I went to back in the day, a high point of the night would be when the DJ played the dance mix of "Let's Stay Together". 

8 minutes ago, BFrank said:

You know about this?

Steve Wynn Decade (11-CD Box Set)

Thnx for the hint .... yes I know, but in general not very fond of large box sets (and after decades of buying a lot of music now buying rather conservatively - too much music unheard and books unread on my shelves) .... regarding the Wynn the CD`s I do have are satisfying enough ....