What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

The live versions on the bonus disc are wonderful, and great bonus studio tracks as well (I bought various-artist comp LPs back in the day just to get their versions of "Within You Without You" and Neil Young's "Computer Age"):

R-1042390-1602451362-8748.jpeg.jpg

I picked this version up a long time ago, but never spent much time with it. I know the original album well, but need to go take a listen to the "Deluxe" stuff.

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

I picked this version up a long time ago, but never spent much time with it. I know the original album well, but need to go take a listen to the "Deluxe" stuff.

The live performances of the Daydream Nation material are all excellent, drawn from 1988-89 shows. The four covers from various projects recorded around the same time are quite good as well: a thunderous version of “Within You Without You,” a take on Neil Young’s “Computer Age” that seems to anticipate Goo’s “Disappearer,” a cover of Mudhoney’s “Touch Me I’m Sick” with Kim on lead vocal, and a version of Captain Beefheart’s “Electricity.” Good notes, too.  

I recently found  on Discogs a very reasonably priced, brand new, still sealed copy of the LP-sized version of this 9 CD set

R-10357896-1556814553-7891.jpeg.jpg

and I have listened to Discs 1 & 2 so far.  I'm glad I got the large size format instead of the reissued CD-sized boxed set.  The accompanying booklet is wonderful, full of great photos and it looks like it has info on every artist included here and maybe info about each and every one of the 244 tracks.  It looks like must-read material and the larger size booklet will be easier on my aging eyes. :)

31 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I recently found  on Discogs a very reasonably priced, brand new, still sealed copy of the LP-sized version of this 9 CD set

and I have listened to Discs 1 & 2 so far.  I'm glad I got the large size format instead of the reissued CD-sized boxed set.  The accompanying booklet is wonderful, full of great photos and it looks like it has info on every artist included here and maybe info about each and every one of the 244 tracks.  It looks like must-read material and the larger size booklet will be easier on my aging eyes. :)

Treasure trove in desirable edition ....

On 11/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, soulpope said:

Timeless fashion of cover art and music .... a classic ....

Very, very, very true. I think the model on the cover also appeared on other Roxy Music albums.

But I was listening to this:

71SQ5kO9hIL._SX466_.jpg

I really like that album, particularly New kid in town and Life on the fast lane.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:38 AM, ghost of miles said:

The first album is a luminous masterpiece, no doubt,

Not only that, but I consider it one of my fave rock albums.

Edited by Bluesnik

3 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Very, very, very true. I think the model on the cover also appeared on other Roxy Music albums.

In this case the model was Jerry Hall (at that time girlfriend of Bryan Ferry) and don`t think she appeared on another cover - nevertheless the Roxy Music cover art was usually graced with very good looking women ....

25 minutes ago, soulpope said:

In this case the model was Jerry Hall (at that time girlfriend of Bryan Ferry) and don`t think she appeared on another cover - nevertheless the Roxy Music cover art was usually graced with very good looking women ....

15 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Mrs. Rupert Murdoch

Learn something new about this crazy world every day.... Money, the real aphrodisiac.....

Just now, Bluesnik said:

Yes, I remember that one too. But from Siren is the first single I ever paid attention to, when I was 11 or 12: Love is the drug. And yeah,

Definitely a great song .... from an era when quality songs seemed to emerge on daily basis .... those were the days ....

On 11/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, duaneiac said:

onto Disc 4.

Good Gravy Marie, how in the world was this not a monster hit?  It's got a good beat, you can dance to it, catchy lyrics, easy to sing along to, an engaging performance by the vocalist and it should have been on the jukebox of every rib joint in the nation.

Man, I wish Louis & His All Stars had had a hit with a cover of this instead of "Hello Dolly" back in '64!:lol: