What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-594423-1136204109-jpeg.jpg

Beneath "Blue Valentine" the finest hour of Tom Waits ....

I love this one and I love 'Blue Valentine', but... What about 'Swordfishtrombones', 'Rain Dogs', 'Frank's Wild Years' and 'Mule Variations'? 😉

Edited by EKE BBB

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

I love this one and I love 'Blue Valentine', but... What about 'Swordfishtrombones', 'Rain Dogs', 'Frank's Wild Years' and 'Mule Variations'? 😉

Both beloved albums are bound to jazz territory which seems to be a perfect fit for the songs .... with "Swordfishtrombones" electronic sounds take over and Tom Waits delivery grows steadily somehow exaggerated .... 'Rain Dogs' + 'Frank's Wild Years' are still excellent albums, but my preferences are set ....

27 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Both beloved albums are bound to jazz territory which seems to be a perfect fit for the songs .... with "Swordfishtrombones" electronic sounds take over and Tom Waits delivery grows steadily somehow exaggerated .... 'Rain Dogs' + 'Frank's Wild Years' are still excellent albums, but my preferences are set ....

No mention to ‘Mule’? Too deep in the ‘exaggerated territory’?

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Btw happy 71st birthday Tom Waits 🎂🎂🎂🎂 ....

Yes! Time to spin some Tom Waits! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Following your path... It all starts with "Tom Traubert's Blues", which is one of my favourite Tom Waits tracks...

R-725926-1156114461.jpeg.jpg

Edited by EKE BBB

7 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

But also "I Wish I Was In NO" or "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)" (which btw is the name of certain FB group dedicated to the music of TW)... What an album!!

"The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)" is an anthem .... at least in my house .... never get tired of it ....

The_Good_Earth_%28The_Feelies_album%29_f

... an album I’ve revisited every few years since its autumn 1986 release. Still shimmers with children-of-the-Velvets influence and quietly churning lyricism. This song sounds like a bridge from early-80s Rain Parade paisley underground to late 80s/early 90s My Bloody Valentine shoegaze (a term that seems to have historically superseded the contemporaneous “dream pop“ moniker when I was a wee lad): 

Edited by ghost of miles

Tal Wilkenfeld.  When this was recorded, she was all of 21 years old and, already, a remarkable bass player.  Over the years, she's only gotten better.  I saw her and her band about four years ago and it made for a memorable evening.  She also sings and plays the guitar.  While her vocals are a bit of an acquired taste, they are different...one of those the more you hear it the more you like her sort of voice.  Here she is playing the 2007 Crossroads Festival with Jeff Beck.