What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1375009-1475395556-4239.jpeg.jpg

I love this album.  This time around I was struck by the simple phrase "tired and weary" from "Feel Like Going Home".  Any pop or Broadway show tune writer would tell you that phrase is redundant.  The folks who write the dictionary and the thesaurus would have you believe the two words are synonymous.  But the folks buying Charlie Rich records back in the day could straight up testify that there can be a world of difference between being "tired" and being "weary"  -- but if you ever find yourself, as the protagonist of this song does, in the desolate state of  being both tired and weary, then you well know what a sorrowful situation that is.

That Charlie Rich.  Damn good singer.  Helluva songwriter.  Any jazz singer looking for something other than the standard Gershwin, Porter, Berlin, etc. standard(s) fare could do well by investigating the Charlie Rich Songbook.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:00 PM, soulpope said:

I remember him with love from his Mink de Ville days. From that album with Spanish stroll on it.

Today I saw a write up of that album (Cabretta) in British magazine Mojo under the moniker Buried Treasure and called Lower East Side Stories and headed thus: "This month's four-leaf clover in rock's salvage yard: NYC street gang romance at the time of punk", although they hadn't much to do with punk, except the energy perhaps, and more with Phil Spector and the Girl groups. (listening to Mixed up shook up Girl right now) It was apparently reissued in 2018 and I remember having it on vinyl when I was 14. I have hurried to search it in Spotify and add it to my 70s music playlist.