What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fond memories of my teen years. I was a complete The Smiths nut back then, and bought this double-LP in London in 1987 when it first came out. I still remember how proudly I played it for my schoolmates in one of the "discoforums" I organized at school (it was not released in Spain until much later).

Unlike many others, I still think that this music, although stemming from a very particular time and place, has aged well. At least to my ears... And yes, I also hate Morrissey, the character. :) 

R-451756-1203189616.jpeg.jpg

Edited by EKE BBB

On 3/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, Bluesnik said:

I have a favorite by them. It's the track Crystal Blue Persuasion and I got to know it through Breakin Bad.

"Crystal Blue Persuasion" is perhaps my favorite pop/rock record of all-time.  A go-to record when I need a mood enhancer.  Also the title of one of my favorite Ernie Pook's Comeek episodes, which, for me, really captures the feeling of that record..

crystal.gif

10 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Fond memories of my teen years. I was a complete The Smiths nut back then, and bought this double-LP in London in 1987 when it first came out. I still remember how proudly I played it for my schoolmates in one of the "discoforums" I organized at school (it was not released in Spain until much later).

Unlike many others, I still think that this music, although stemming from a very particular time and place, has aged well. At least to my ears... And yes, I also hate Morrissey, the character. :) 

Agreed that their music has held up well and also about Morrissey who hasn't. Johnny Marr has done a much better job of keeping the spirit of the Smiths alive, as well as releasing a few good solo albums along the way. I've seen him a number of times in concert, too - always good.

Edited by BFrank

14 hours ago, duaneiac said:

"Crystal Blue Persuasion" is perhaps my favorite pop/rock record of all-time.  A go-to record when I need a mood enhancer.  Also the title of one of my favorite Ernie Pook's Comeek episodes, which, for me, really captures the feeling of that record..

crystal.gif

:D:D:D The comic part! Excellent!!!

On 3/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273db0917ddd4139153bc1d1a1a

I remember that one from when it came it out. The title track with guitarist Nile Rodgers is excellent.

23 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

I too am a big Smiths admirer. For me they encapsulate the 80s (together with Talking Heads). And I also consider them to be (against a very wide consensus) a 50/50 between Morrissey and Marr. I'd rather say a 40/60 in favor of Marr.