What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I love that King Kong. It was one of my entry routes into jazz.

The whole record has a real special aura, at least on LP. The CD reissue was a real butcher’s job.

This fixes the CD issue, uses the original vinyl mix:

Zappa / Mothers – Meat Light (The Uncle Meat Project / Object Audio  Documentary) (CD) - Discogs

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

This is the Zappa Estate deluxe version released a couple of years back and well worth examining.

Meat Light

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meat Light is a 3CD compilation of Frank Zappa's Uncle Meat recordings.[1][2][3][4][5] It is project/object #5 in a series of 40th Anniversary FZ Audio Documentaries, following MOFO (2006), Lumpy Money (2009), Greasy Love Songs (2010) and The Crux of the Biscuit (2016).

The album includes the original 1969 vinyl mix of "Uncle Meat" (without the film dialogue and "Tengo Na Minchia Tanta" which were added on the CD release in 1987), followed by the originally planned sequence of the tracks (which includes different edits and a longer version of the track "Cops & Buns" from The Lost Episodes) and outtakes.

Edited by felser

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

That looks tasty. Whatever one might think of the estate. 

For me, FZ has always been about those first seven MOI records. My love of his later career has come and gone, but those seven are perfect as far as I am concerned.  And Uncle Meat sits right at the centre.

Agree on all counts.

57 minutes ago, Jason Bivins said:

I love the MOI stuff for sure, and have a soft spot for Flo and Eddie ("Billy the Mountain"!). But for me the greatest FZ band is the Roxy band.

Certainly my second most preferred era. Along with MOI, OSFA and Roxy are the only Zappa records I ever still listen to. 

But I definitely listen to the original Mothers more.

2 hours ago, Jason Bivins said:

I love the MOI stuff for sure, and have a soft spot for Flo and Eddie ("Billy the Mountain"!). But for me the greatest FZ band is the Roxy band.

Pretty much agree about the Roxy band - for technical excellence at the very least. Don't have a particular soft spot for F&E except for "Another Band from LA" because I was at that show. Every version of Zappa's bands have their own unique traits, though.

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Pretty much agree about the Roxy band - for technical excellence at the very least. Don't have a particular soft spot for F&E except for "Another Band from LA" because I was at that show. Every version of Zappa's bands have their own unique traits, though.

I do find that the lyrics have got less funny and more difficult to handle with time and age. That's less of an issue for original Mothers and the Roxy band.

Edited by Rabshakeh