What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2527505-1346327945-7968.jpeg.jpg

wallowing in nostalgia, playing this and other Go-Betweens albums whilst reading Tracey Thorn's 'My Rock 'n' Roll Friend' about her relationship with Lindy Morrison.

I loved this band from about 1983-88, saw them many times.  Albums stand up well, I think.

49 minutes ago, felser said:

She was great.  Fairport was never the same without her.  Check out Fatheringay if you aren't already familiar with them.

Sandy Denny, a key member of Britain's pioneering folk‐rock band, Fairport Convention, and in the' late 1960's that country's leading woman pop singer, died in London Wednesday from a brain hemorrhage ater falling down stairs at a friend's home.Apr 29, 1978

8 hours ago, felser said:

She was great.  Fairport was never the same without her.  Check out Fatheringay if you aren't already familiar with them.

This 2015 box set is great! Most all of their studio recordings (including the 2008 re-assembled "2") and some great live stuff.

R-7121646-1549615225-7561.jpeg.jpg

11 hours ago, BFrank said:

This 2015 box set is great! Most all of their studio recordings (including the 2008 re-assembled "2") and some great live stuff.

R-7121646-1549615225-7561.jpeg.jpg

+1

19 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Sandy Denny, a key member of Britain's pioneering folk‐rock band, Fairport Convention, and in the' late 1960's that country's leading woman pop singer, died in London Wednesday from a brain hemorrhage ater falling down stairs at a friend's home.Apr 29, 1978

Yes, tragic and mysterious, and a great loss.

This evening, while watering the plants out back, i had one of those "remembrance of things past" moments, inspired by, of all things, the garden hose.

Long, long ago, in a century far, far away,  before air conditioning and swimming pools became as common as they are today, on a hot July afternoon like this, there was one sure way for a kid to cool down.  You and your siblings/friends would go out in the back yard  and "play under the hose".  Just spraying one another with the hose, without even the benefit of a nozzle ( I think there was a "you'll put some one's eye out" factor involved in that), so that you had to put your thumb part way covering the spout of the hose to get any kind of pressure. 

But in addition to being a cooling recreational device, the hose also provided a very satisfying summer time treat.  As a kid, on a hot summer afternoon, one of the most refreshing drinks you could ask for was water straight out of the hose.  Make sure you let it run a bit first -- there's nothing worse than hot water from the hose.  But back in those days -- before there was any notion of summer school or summer camp or summer jobs, there was only summer -- that water, with its strong hints of rubber and metal, was and remains for me, the unmistakable and unforgettable flavor of the glorious, languid and indulgent carefreedom of those summer days.

This memory did not inspire me to actually revisit that flavor tonight, however.  I believe it was Thomas Wolfe who said, "you can't go hose again".