What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Hope she is too.  I'm really enjoying her Lu's Jukebox series.  The first two albums (Petty and Southern Soul covers) are fantastic, looking forward to the upcoming releases.

She streamed a Stones tribute last year and appeared to be OK.

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Aqualung was one of the firsts albums I got. I still remember that thick cardboard jacket. As an LP, of course.

I was hooked on them early and got all their albums (and saw their tours) up through Passion Play. After that, Ian sort of ran out of new ideas and I lost interest. Although his 2000 release "The Secret Language of Birds" is very interesting.

This has been an "ear worm" of mine for all day, so I had to give a listen to the full song:

One thing led to another

and another

Those are some pretty tight and powerful horn arrangements.  How were the Grass Roots regarded back in the day?  As just another pop band?  I never have seen them mentioned in the same regard that bands like BS & T and early Chicago received.  Were The Grass Roots playing any "jazz" festivals back in the day?  Did they even tour with any horns?  Each of those songs was a hit when I was a lad and I loved the sound that band had.  I wonder if it had an impact on my future musical development.  To me, it isn't such a leap from The Grass Roots to Stan Kenton, who I really discovered only a few years later.  In fact, screw that Chicago album -- what I really would have loved to hear would have been a Stan Kenton Plays The Grass Roots ("Yeah, to a nothing - nothing draw", I can hear you nay-sayers say).  I could really hear that 70's Kenton band, and especially the Kenton bones section, bringing this music to life.  There would be no market for it today, but I bet some one could make a kick-ass big band album of Grass Roots songs.

Edited by duaneiac

As just another pop band, yes. One that made good records, but nothing "innovative", or even a horn band at all. Their records sometimes  had horns, but a lot of pop records did. Lou Christie had horns on his hits, right, a big honking bari sometimes  GREAT records!

Their first hit of the Grass Roots that I recall hearing was "Live For Today", so those later things definitely sounded "pop".  Even "Midnight Confessions" (prominent horns there)  was...looser. But "Temptation Eyes", hell, that is pop with a capital POP, and if it was that easy... it's NOT that easy!

On 8/29/2021 at 4:06 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I think it's great that you guys are paying attention to what the kids are saying.  It is up to us as adults to listen.  We can't just keep listening to Stan Kenton; we have to move on to today's rock sounds to remain current.

This is funny, but I never know if you're joking or not, do you?

9 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

This is funny, but I never know if you're joking or not, do you?

I realize that most people assume that I hate all of today's "rock" music - and admittedly this music does not get spun very often at my pad - but I am not joking here.  I am the first to admit that some of today's rock groups are doing some really creative things, the Beatles, for example.  While their own versions are often rough-hewn and a tad amateurish, the songs really sparkle when delivered with the civility, gentility, and politeness that we associate with jazz.