What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

NP:  Eviva!  Morricone

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

This recreating of different Smile pieces is something they would do for a few years.. "Cabinessence" was as close as they came to using anything exactly, and they even "tampered" with that some...

"Cabinessence," "Our Prayer," and "Surf's Up" are examples of tunes in which the original Smile tracks were dusted off and new parts were added.  "Cool Cool Water" used part of the Smile "Elements Suite."

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right...but I don't know that they actually used the Smile tracks, or just remade them. Maybe "Our Prayer", but I think I've read that even that one was remade somehow...don't know how much credence I give that, but there was the whole "Brian burnt all the tapes" or "Brian destroyed all the tapes" or "we'll NEVER hear it!!!!" mystique-narrative going on that fed on itself for a while until somebody (I forget who) said, no he didn't, they're all still in the can. After that, coincidentally or not, you started getting trickles and downpours of bootlegs proving that at least some it still survived, and today, oh yeah, looks like it ALL survived.

I never heard a "fan mix" simulating a "final album" that really worked for me, though. It was never truly finished, and it sounds that way. Brian's is the only version that sounds truly finished to me. The other stuff...too much "wishful thinking" projection going on there.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Right...but I don't know that they actually used the Smile tracks, or just remade them. Maybe "Our Prayer", but I think I've read that even that one was remade somehow...don't know how much credence I give that, but there was the whole "Brian burnt all the tapes" or "Brian destroyed all the tapes" or "we'll NEVER hear it!!!!" mystique-narrative going on that fed on itself for a while until somebody (I forget who) said, no he didn't, they're all still in the can. After that, coincidentally or not, you started getting trickles and downpours of bootlegs proving that at least some it still survived, and today, oh yeah, looks like it ALL survived.

I never heard a "fan mix" simulating a "final album" that really worked for me, though. It was never truly finished, and it sounds that way. Brian's is the only version that sounds truly finished to me. The other stuff...too much "wishful thinking" projection going on there.

This is my understanding, based on what I've read, and also the aural evidence:

"Our Prayer:"  20/20 version is a Smile recording, with some additional vocal sweetening, including the very high note heard right before the last chord.

"Cabinessence:"  20/20 version uses Smile backing track and Smile group vocals; Carl's lead vocal was added for the album.

"Surf's Up:"  Surf's Up version uses the Smile backing track for the first section. Carl added his lead vocal during the Surf's Up album, and additional sweeteners may have been added.  The second section, which Brian sings, is a Smile recording with some additional overdubs, such as those low subwoofer synth bass notes. The final "Child is father to the man" section has new group vocals added over the Smile recording.

3 hours ago, BFrank said:

I just listened to the DFs a couple of days ago. Hadn't heard them in a LONG time and I forgot how good they were.

Yesss! One of my favourite groups from that era. All ‘The Longest Day’, ‘Boston, Mass.” and “Stand Up” we’re really good!