What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

After years of searching for a reasonably priced, still in good condition copy, this finally arrived in the mail yesterday --

4031611_sa.jpg

It's a 4 CD set.  From it, today I listened to:

THE_REPRISE_MUSICAL_REPERTORY_THEATRE_KI

Mr. S kept himself to a minimum on this album.  He only shows up on two tracks, each time with other performers.  Heck, Johnny Prophet gets three tracks.  Anybody know anything about him?  He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.  He's got kind of a Andy Williams/John Davidson quality about him. This is all the info I found.  Sammy Davis' "Too Darn Hot" might be the highlight here, but I also love Keely Smith's "Always True To You (In My Fashion)" (which is Cole Porter at his best; that "Harris pat / Paris hat" line is almost too clever for its own good, but he makes it work).  As noted in the under-informative liner notes booklet, "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" is noticeably missing here.

and

R-6223529-1414989348-9830.jpeg.jpg

Sinatra kept some of the best songs for himself here:  "This Nearly Was Mine". "Some Enchanted Evening", "Twin Soliloquies" (with Keely Smith -- gosh they were a great singing pair; I really wish they had made and entire album together during those Reprise years), and a reprise of "Some Enchanted Evening" (with Rosemary Clooney).

The other two albums in the set, Finian's Rainbow and Guys and Dolls, I already had, the former on LP and the latter on CD, so I'm kind of familiar with them.  I'll give a listen to them later.  Looking at Wikipedia, I saw that this CD set was issued, coincidentally enough, on Sep. 26, 2000 -- so today is its 21st birthday! :party:

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images