What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

His first session wih the "Stax Rhythm Section" ....

I think Pickett is the only artist on Atlantic who worked with every R&B/Soul session band they used during the period he was on the label - Atlantic's guys in NY, Stax, the hybrid Fame/American group, American Sound in Memphis, Muscle Shoals after they broke free of Fame, Philly, Criteria in Fla.

1 minute ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I think Pickett is the only artist on Atlantic who worked with every R&B/Soul session band they used during the period he was on the label - Atlantic's guys in NY, Stax, the hybrid Fame/American group, American Sound in Memphis, Muscle Shoals after they broke free of Fame, Philly, Criteria in Fla.

Could well be ....

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Makes his Complete Atlantic Recordings box a good way to compare and contrast the various guys in Memphis and Muscles Shoals who are often lumped together and confused...

Right .... still - if listened to these studio cracks more closely - they are highly distinctive ....

Peak 80s art pop:

61BZS61bKWL._SY355_.jpg

... an excellent retrospective of the band's initial 1980s run.  This is one of those collections I revisit every couple of years.  Was fortunate to see them on the Mirror Moves tour in 1984.  For my money their best albums are Forever Now and Talk Talk Talk, but everything's sparkling through Mirror Moves, and this set gathers a goodly amount of the better songs they laid down after 1984 as well.  (I remember hearing "All That Money Wants" on the radio when it came out in 1988 and thinking "Damn, this is quite an FU to Midnight To Midnight"--their most recent and most commercially successful album, but one that left them feeling that they'd taken a vacuous, soul-depleting turn.)

Edited by ghost of miles

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Peak 80s art pop:

61BZS61bKWL._SY355_.jpg

... an excellent retrospective of the band's initial 1980s run.  This is one of those collections I revisit every couple of years.  Was fortunate to see them on the Mirror Moves tour in 1984.  For my money their best albums are Forever Now and Talk Talk Talk, but everything's sparkling through Mirror Moves, and this set gathers a goodly amount of the better songs they laid down after 1984 as well.  (I remember hearing "All That Money Wants" on the radio when it came out in 1988 and thinking "Damn, this is quite an FU to Midnight To Midnight"--their most recent and most commercially successful album, but one that left them feeling that they'd taken a vacuous, soul-depleting turn.)

I like their first few albums a lot. I saw them in a club in 81 (their first US tour, I think) and then again in 84 at Radio City in NY. I sort of lost interest in them after that.