What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, felser said:

The deluxe box is worthwhile.

The 6-CD Complete Basement Tapes? I have it and concur! In fact, taking it off the shelf as soon as I finish listening to the original release. (Also pulled out my Greil Marcus and Sid Griffin books about these Dylan/Band sessions, as I can feel a renewed obsession coming on.)

26 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

The 6-CD Complete Basement Tapes? I have it and concur! In fact, taking it off the shelf as soon as I finish listening to the original release. (Also pulled out my Greil Marcus and Sid Griffin books about these Dylan/Band sessions, as I can feel a renewed obsession coming on.)

Yep, the 6 CD set.  How is the Marcus book?  I've had it for years but never got around to reading it.  I love his writing and read and liked the other two Dylan-related books he wrote.  And I regularly reread his amazing Rolling Stone review of "Self Portrait".

2 hours ago, felser said:

Yep, the 6 CD set.  How is the Marcus book?  I've had it for years but never got around to reading it.  I love his writing and read and liked the other two Dylan-related books he wrote.  And I regularly reread his amazing Rolling Stone review of "Self Portrait".

I started it years ago but bogged down a bit, though I don’t think that’s to Marcus’ discredit… often happens when I’ve started too many books at once. I do recall being rather staggered at how much meaning Marcus could wring out of a simple chord choice or such. Going to give it another crack, given the subject matter and my respect for and enjoyment of what Marcus I’ve read.

21 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I've read both books and like the way they contradict each other at least in terms of their evaluations of individual songs.  Marcus's chapter on the Harry Smith anthology is really good but as a Canadian of a certain age I was offended by his condescension to Ian and Sylvia. 

55 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

ooh, 'Winter In America' in my house. 'Pieces Of A Man' a very very close second :)

And I have 'Winter' second overall (especially the hauntingly beautiful "Peace Go With You Brother").  And 'The First Minute of a New Day' is the third utterly essential Scott-Heron.

2 hours ago, felser said:

And I have 'Winter' second overall (especially the hauntingly beautiful "Peace Go With You Brother").  And 'The First Minute of a New Day' is the third utterly essential Scott-Heron.

And I agree completely about 'The First Minute...'. So we have the same top three just in a slightly different order :)

I find all of 'Winter in America' moving.  This song just slays me every time