What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

https://www.marca.com/otros-deportes/2019/09/17/5d7ffeeeca474162048b4596.html

Here's the list, as published by Marca last September. Totally agree on the top-3. After that, I have my own ideas... :) 

My views about this kind of lists is that usually miss the history. It's like compare apple and orange. First the journalists tend to privilege what they experienced directly so the prevalence of today's athletes. Second it's pretty hard to compare athletes of different eras because sports were different planets. Today's performances are results of rocket science researches covering all sides of athletes' work and an accurate selection among thousands of talented young boys and girls, yesterday's one were a result of talent, luck and a couple of intuitions of a trainer. Much more then performances it would be more easy to judge the weight of an athlete in the sport history.

34 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

My views about this kind of lists is that usually miss the history. It's like compare apple and orange. First the journalists tend to privilege what they experienced directly so the prevalence of today's athletes. Second it's pretty hard to compare athletes of different eras because sports were different planets. Today's performances are results of rocket science researches covering all sides of athletes' work and an accurate selection among thousands of talented young boys and girls, yesterday's one were a result of talent, luck and a couple of intuitions of a trainer. Much more then performances it would be more easy to judge the weight of an athlete in the sport history.

You nailed it.
It is rare that equal coverage is given to performers/artists/sportsmen (whatever ..:) from each era. But this is how it should be. Because every era had its superstars that mattered enormously (and to a fairly comparable extent) in THEIR time.
Which is why I am very wary of any "100 greatest Rock bands (or Pop vocalists or ...) of all times" (or similar) kind of publications. A serious and well-informed writer (and historian) ought to be able to assess any artist's merits in the contexts of his times and weigh them accordingly. Besides, if the present-day artists (or sportsmen etc.) dominate in such lists/books etc., isnt this skewed from the start? Do we know what the impact or impression of a "great" artist of the present time or very recent past will be 10 or 20 years from now or how (if at all) he/she will be remembered then? Whereas, on the other hand, someone from, say, the 40s or 50s may be covered only in passing in such books because she/she is fairly forgotten today, yet he/she was a huge star with the public and the media in his/her prime. Publications like that need to be compiled/written by historians (or people with acute historical awareness and knowledge), not by fanzine "cash-in" scribes. (Wishful thinking, I know, but yet ... ;))

One notable exception and a case of relatively even coverage I came across a couple of years ago was a book on the history the German football (soccer) cup finals from the start in 1935 to the (then) present in 1995. Three or four pages were alotted to each year THROUGHOUT, and only the most recent 10 years were given 6 or 8 pages each. This is how such "all-time" histories that compare repetitive events of (obviously) comparable "period" importance ought to be done.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:10 AM, EKE BBB said:

https://www.marca.com/otros-deportes/2019/09/17/5d7ffeeeca474162048b4596.html

Here's the list, as published by Marca last September. Totally agree on the top-3. After that, I have my own ideas... :) 

Thanks for the link. I found it to be an odd list, with high rankings for what I, as an American, consider minor sports, recognizing that they might not be minor in Spain. As an example, ranking Carolina Marin (badminton) over Xavi or Ruth Beteia (track and field) over Iniesta. Sorry, that doesn’t make sense to me. 

Edited by Brad