EKE BBB

What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

3,572 posts in this topic

7f2ab5727dc1c5f4b70d5746543c7166da64e349

Timeless fashion of cover art and music .... a classic ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The live versions on the bonus disc are wonderful, and great bonus studio tracks as well (I bought various-artist comp LPs back in the day just to get their versions of "Within You Without You" and Neil Young's "Computer Age"):

R-1042390-1602451362-8748.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

The live versions on the bonus disc are wonderful, and great bonus studio tracks as well (I bought various-artist comp LPs back in the day just to get their versions of "Within You Without You" and Neil Young's "Computer Age"):

R-1042390-1602451362-8748.jpeg.jpg

I picked this version up a long time ago, but never spent much time with it. I know the original album well, but need to go take a listen to the "Deluxe" stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BFrank said:

I picked this version up a long time ago, but never spent much time with it. I know the original album well, but need to go take a listen to the "Deluxe" stuff.

Same here. Classic amongst classics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BFrank said:

I picked this version up a long time ago, but never spent much time with it. I know the original album well, but need to go take a listen to the "Deluxe" stuff.

The live performances of the Daydream Nation material are all excellent, drawn from 1988-89 shows. The four covers from various projects recorded around the same time are quite good as well: a thunderous version of “Within You Without You,” a take on Neil Young’s “Computer Age” that seems to anticipate Goo’s “Disappearer,” a cover of Mudhoney’s “Touch Me I’m Sick” with Kim on lead vocal, and a version of Captain Beefheart’s “Electricity.” Good notes, too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently found  on Discogs a very reasonably priced, brand new, still sealed copy of the LP-sized version of this 9 CD set

R-10357896-1556814553-7891.jpeg.jpg

and I have listened to Discs 1 & 2 so far.  I'm glad I got the large size format instead of the reissued CD-sized boxed set.  The accompanying booklet is wonderful, full of great photos and it looks like it has info on every artist included here and maybe info about each and every one of the 244 tracks.  It looks like must-read material and the larger size booklet will be easier on my aging eyes. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I recently found  on Discogs a very reasonably priced, brand new, still sealed copy of the LP-sized version of this 9 CD set

R-10357896-1556814553-7891.jpeg.jpg

and I have listened to Discs 1 & 2 so far.  I'm glad I got the large size format instead of the reissued CD-sized boxed set.  The accompanying booklet is wonderful, full of great photos and it looks like it has info on every artist included here and maybe info about each and every one of the 244 tracks.  It looks like must-read material and the larger size booklet will be easier on my aging eyes. :)

Treasure trove in desirable edition ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, soulpope said:

Timeless fashion of cover art and music .... a classic ....

Very, very, very true. I think the model on the cover also appeared on other Roxy Music albums.

But I was listening to this:

71SQ5kO9hIL._SX466_.jpg

I really like that album, particularly New kid in town and Life on the fast lane.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:38 AM, ghost of miles said:

The first album is a luminous masterpiece, no doubt,

Not only that, but I consider it one of my fave rock albums.

Edited by Bluesnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Very, very, very true. I think the model on the cover also appeared on other Roxy Music albums.

In this case the model was Jerry Hall (at that time girlfriend of Bryan Ferry) and don`t think she appeared on another cover - nevertheless the Roxy Music cover art was usually graced with very good looking women ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Ah, that is Jerry Hall? I didn't know.

Mrs. Rupert Murdoch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, soulpope said:

In this case the model was Jerry Hall (at that time girlfriend of Bryan Ferry) and don`t think she appeared on another cover - nevertheless the Roxy Music cover art was usually graced with very good looking women ....

 

15 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Mrs. Rupert Murdoch

Learn something new about this crazy world every day.... Money, the real aphrodisiac.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2392546-1281391975.jpeg.jpg

Speaking of classic Roxy Music album cover art and music ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Speaking of classic Roxy Music album cover art and music ....

Yes, I remember that one too. But from Siren is the first single I ever paid attention to, when I was 11 or 12: Love is the drug. And yeah,

18 hours ago, Matthew said:

Money, the real aphrodisiac.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bluesnik said:

Yes, I remember that one too. But from Siren is the first single I ever paid attention to, when I was 11 or 12: Love is the drug. And yeah,

Definitely a great song .... from an era when quality songs seemed to emerge on daily basis .... those were the days ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

R-3075953-1526192129-8623.jpeg.jpg

👍!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, duaneiac said:

I recently found  on Discogs a very reasonably priced, brand new, still sealed copy of the LP-sized version of this 9 CD set

R-10357896-1556814553-7891.jpeg.jpg

onto Disc 4.

Good Gravy Marie, how in the world was this not a monster hit?  It's got a good beat, you can dance to it, catchy lyrics, easy to sing along to, an engaging performance by the vocalist and it should have been on the jukebox of every rib joint in the nation.

Man, I wish Louis & His All Stars had had a hit with a cover of this instead of "Hello Dolly" back in '64!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 7:00 PM, ghost of miles said:

XTC in their psychedelic guise:

61BXKVd1AvL._SY400_.jpg

I like some of it. Some of it doesn't hold up that well, but overall I appreciate the concept. I even bought the recent Steven Wilson 'complete' Dukes remaster set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.