What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/4/2021 at 8:07 AM, mjazzg said:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATES'S END 

Another masterpiece from the only "Rock" band I still follow. 

Good to see their idiosyncratic approach to titling persists.

Don't know their music, but was lucky to "see" them (they were completely backlit) at the Big Ears Festival in 2018. I'll check out that album .

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin

On 06/04/2021 at 6:09 AM, BFrank said:

Don't know their music, but was lucky to "see" them (they were completely backlit) at the Big Ears Festival in 2018. I'll check out that album .

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin

I've caught them a four times on their UK visits, first in 1998, always delivered, never very visible

71VaFZLISTL._SX355_.jpg

It was a couple of weeks ago that I read an article about this year being the 50th anniversary of Tapestry.  That sent me searching for my CD copy of the album.  When I couldn't find it anywhere, it slowly dawned on me that I had never bought the CD.  I had a vinyl copy but all my LPs are in storage. So I bought a CD (which includes a pair of nice bonus tracks) and while it is still an incredible work of art, it's also an album, for me, that sounds most authentic with the added pops and crackles which come from used vinyl.  Over the decades, I wonder how many people have discovered this classic album through an old scratchy copy borrowed perhaps from an older sibling, or loaned by a "you gotta listen to this" friend, or borrowed from a library or perhaps best of all, borrowed from a high-school library -- you know that  disc in particular would have been played a lot.

While I was familiar with many of the songs from the album from the days when they were Top 40 hits, I never encountered the whole album until 1980.  I spent 5 months that year as a volunteer working for a community group in Washington D.C. which ran a soup kitchen and a day center for homeless women.  At the women's center there was an old beat up stereo and a small stack of old records, Tapestry among them. That beat up record became a treasured friend.  Who knows how many years it had been there and how many fearless windmill jousting, world fixing, college age do-gooder volunteers had played and experienced that disc before (and after) me?  Through the power of music, listening to this album now brings back both fond and bittersweet memories of the people and places of that time.

My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hue . . .

Edited by duaneiac