EKE BBB

What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

4,408 posts in this topic

Earlier tonight:

R-4750850-1374340748-2345.jpeg.jpg

La Lupe y Su Alma Venezolana (Tico, 1966)

At times, La Lupe reminds me of a Cuban version of Elis Regina.  Both singers had giant, powerhouse voices.  But, more importantly, they both have an unmediated quality in their singing; it's as if they have no fear.  They put it all on the line -- and you can't help but respond to that. 

R-708863-1594394813-5216.jpeg.jpg

Disc 2 from that set, followed by: 

Tennors%20-%20Rock%20Steady%20Classics.j

Very nice comp of pre-Itals songs. 

Wallflowers: Exit Wounds

Oh, I remember Prefab Sprout warmly from the 80s. But for me their favorites are their two first albums, Steve McQueen and From Langley Park to Memphis. I see they had a previous album called Swoon from 1984, but that must be a minority thing. And Steve McQueen very above the other.

4 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Oh, I remember Prefab Sprout warmly from the 80s. But for me their favorites are their two first albums, Steve McQueen and From Langley Park to Memphis. I see they had a previous album called Swoon from 1984, but that must be a minority thing. And Steve McQueen very above the other.

Most of the McQueen & Langley Park albums are on this comp :tup

On 7/30/2021 at 4:39 AM, HutchFan said:

La Lupe reminds me of a Cuban version of Elis Regina.  Both singers had giant, powerhouse voices.  But, more importantly, they both have an unmediated quality in their singing; it's as if they have no fear.  They put it all on the line -- and you can't help but respond to that. 

Yes, that's very true. But I know more Regina and less La Lupe... And Regina was all those things you say.

Posted (edited)

Binged a bit on The Poor Man's Pink Floyd: 

R-209358-1293314070.jpeg.jpg

R-2953968-1308927347.jpeg.jpg

R-955639-1420051543-3253.jpeg.jpg

Nice work by AP for dipping that bucket in the well and milking the hell out of those PF motifs. It works pretty well for I Robot and to a lesser extent Pyramid. The latter having more of its own sound but seriously wimping out toward the end. Meanwhile, Eye In the Sky is borderline terrible. :tdown

Edited by Dub Modal