What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Beach Boys are one of the very few "rock" groups of today enjoyed by TTK.

I recently picked up the 5-CD Feel Flows box set of material from the Sunflower/Surf's Up period.

Content-wise, this is really good.  There are so many good tracks that remained in the can.  It will be easy and convenient to omit the dogs and assemble much stronger albums than those originally released.

The downside is the mastering.  It is very shrill; I had to turn the treble almost all the way down.  And it sounds as if the dynamic range has been reduced by abuse of compression/limiting.  I get ear fatigue halfway through a disc.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Beach Boys are one of the very few "rock" groups of today enjoyed by TTK.

I recently picked up the 5-CD Feel Flows box set of material from the Sunflower/Surf's Up period.

Content-wise, this is really good.  There are so many good tracks that remained in the can.  It will be easy and convenient to omit the dogs and assemble much stronger albums than those originally released.

The downside is the mastering.  It is very shrill; I had to turn the treble almost all the way down.  And it sounds as if the dynamic range has been reduced by abuse of compression/limiting.  I get ear fatigue halfway through a disc.

"today"???

26 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

"today"???

Yes.  I think it is important for us as jazz fans to keep up with the "rock" music that today's youth are listening to.  We can't just keep listening to Stan Kenton forever.

And even though I don't spin much "rock" music, The Beach Boys are an example of a contemporary "rock" group doing some really creative things.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yes.  I think it is important for us as jazz fans to keep up with the "rock" music that today's youth are listening to.  We can't just keep listening to Stan Kenton forever.

And even though I don't spin much "rock" music, The Beach Boys are an example of a contemporary "rock" group doing some really creative things.  

You're a funny guy. I recall you consider The Beatles "contemporary" too. Maybe even avant garde. :ph34r::mellow:

Edited by jlhoots

11 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

You're a funny guy. I recall you consider The Beatles "contemporary" too. Maybe even avant garde. :ph34r::mellow:

They are an example of a contemporary "rock" group that is doing really creative things.  So don't think that TTK has his head buried in the sand and is listening only to Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller. I am turning on and tuning in to the sounds of today, and the Beatles are where it's at, baby!  

If you're not already doing so, I would implore you to get out of your comfort zone and check out what the kids of today are listening to!  Today's generation is saying some really beautiful things, and it's up to us as adults to listen.

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yes, the part at the end where they are singing "Little bird up in a tree" in harmony.  Take away the vocals, and it is "Child is Father."  I have listened to both tracks for decades, and only recently figured this out.

Same drum "beat", ok. Not sure if it is the actual track or not...but it kind of blows my mind that they recreated themselves doing that for the coda on the album version of "Surf's Up"..seems like a lot of work....

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Same drum "beat", ok. Not sure if it is the actual track or not...but it kind of blows my mind that they recreated themselves doing that for the coda on the album version of "Surf's Up"..seems like a lot of work....

And the same chord progression - I minor 7 to I sus. 7 add 9.  Not sure if the wah-wah muted horns are in the background or not.  I will have to listen to the isolated backing track.

EDIT:  I just listened to the isolated backing.  One wah-wah trumpet is in the background.  It sounds like they are deliberately recreating the Smile recording of "Child is Father of the Man," albeit with different production values and probably a smaller group.