What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

2 hours ago, felser said:

No idea how "Don't Look Back" didn't become a huge hit.    Re: QMS - they became a very different group afterwards,with the addition of Nicky Hopkins and then Dino Valente.   Some very good cuts, some not so good cuts, but all a whole different bag than the first two albums.

I am too distant to this music, both geographically and time-wise, to properly understand the social and musical context in the USA and during the second half of the 60s; additionally, the distribution and media coverage for garage bands in Spain was close to zero when I was into rock.

However, I have to say that discovering the recordings by The Sonics, The Remains, The Standells, The Kingsmen or the Seeds some 20 years ago was quite a shock for me. How could I have missed this wonderful music?

And now we have Latin-disco, trap and reggaeton all over the place!!! 😡

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

I am too distant to this music, both geographically and time-wise, to properly understand the social and musical context in the USA and during the second half of the 60s; additionally, the distribution and media coverage for garage bands in Spain was close to zero when I was into rock.

However, I have to say that discovering the recordings by The Sonics, The Remains, The Standells, The Kingsmen or the Seeds some 20 years ago was quite a shock for me. How could I have missed this wonderful music?

And now we have Latin-disco, trap and reggaeton all over the place!!! 😡

This doesn't exactly address the point but when I lived in Barcelona in the mid 60s, the record stores would get all the majors but the coverage on lesser known artists was a bit spotty.  For those, we'd have to listen to Radio Luxembourg. I seem to remember that my friend, who had a reel to reel, would tape their programs and after school and on weekends we'd listen and discuss what we were listening. I also had my own reel to reel, which I received a little later as a gift from my parents for making Honor Roll. Still have it (couldn't bear to get rid of it) but haven't listened to it in years and have no idea what's on the tapes, assuming I still have them. 

I have this Remains disk. Good stuff!

Image result for Barry & the Remains

* QMS: Agreed that they were never quite the same after Happy Trails, but those first 2 albums are iconic.

* I always liked that Lee Michaels album, too. Especially the side-long "Tell Me How Do You Feel" suite. I could do without Frosty's extended drum solo, but still great B-3 and vocals.

14 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Listening to disc 1 of the newly-arrived San Francisco Nuggets box-set: 

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTb-EvuGoI1-7uqAv6WB

I just ordered this a little pricey but looks like it's worth it. When I was looking over the track list, I saw Sopwith Camel, which dredged something from my addled brain. I seem to have a vague recollection of them but nothing more. Looking forward to this set. Is the Warlocks song by the group later known as the Grateful Dead or one by the other group, which forced Jerry Garcia's group to change its name?

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I just ordered this a little pricey but looks like it's worth it. When I was looking over the track list, I saw Sopwith Camel, which dredged something from my addled brain. I seem to have a vague recollection of them but nothing more. Looking forward to this set. Is the Warlocks song by the group later known as the Grateful Dead or one by the other group, which forced Jerry Garcia's group to change its name?

It's the Grateful Dead.  The booklet indicates that the track was first released on the So Many Roads 1965-1995 Dead box set.  

10 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

It's the Grateful Dead.  The booklet indicates that the track was first released on the So Many Roads 1965-1995 Dead box set.  

I don’t have that box set. I was never a big fan when I was younger; the only album I had was Workingmans Dead (a classic, of course); but I’m starting to listen to them a lot lately. However, their discography is humongous.  Real fans must be in the poorhouse. 

Edited by Brad

42 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don’t have that box set. I was never a big fan when I was younger; the only album I had was Workingmans Dead (a classic, of course); but I’m starting to listen to them a lot lately. However, their discography is humongous.  Real fans must be in the poorhouse. 

I don't either--for a long time all I had were the two albums you're most likely to find in a non-Deadhead collection, Workingmans Dead and American Beauty, plus Anthem of the Sun.  A couple of years ago the Dead bug finally bit me and I picked up the Rhino Golden Road box-set that covers 1965-1973.  That's been enough to sate me--and yeah, a bit wary of getting too hooked, given said scale of their discography!

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Many many real fans have been trading tapes and cdrs and files for a long time, and I know a number who don't buy the official releases because they have had trading copies for a long time. These persons are not necessarily in the poorhouse, though tapes and blanks and postage for a long time before sharing files online became de rigger probably put a dent in a number of wallets!

I was a casual fan for a while though the three times I saw the Dead in the 'seventies were eye-opening and fanned flames that burst into conflagration for me in the 'nineties when I explored the Dead a lot. I have all the official releases now of material from the beginning to the departure of Keith and Donna. . . I just don't listen to material after that, doesn't capture me the way the material before that has. I'm a Pigpen fan, and I love my Europe '72 box. That's such wonderfully performed and well-recorded and -presented music.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Many many real fans have been trading tapes and cdrs and files for a long time, and I know a number who don't buy the official releases because they have had trading copies for a long time. These persons are not necessarily in the poorhouse, though tapes and blanks and postage for a long time before sharing files online became de rigger probably put a dent in a number of wallets!

I was a casual fan for a while though the three times I saw the Dead in the 'seventies were eye-opening and fanned flames that burst into conflagration for me in the 'nineties when I explored the Dead a lot. I have all the official releases now of material from the beginning to the departure of Keith and Donna. . . I just don't listen to material after that, doesn't capture me the way the material before that has. I'm a Pigpen fan, and I love my Europe '72 box. That's such wonderfully performed and well-recorded and -presented music.

I watched the the Long Strange Trip series on Amazon and although I obviously knew about the Deadheads I had no idea how devoted they were or how they taped performances and traded tapes until I watched the show. Great show. The way Garcia looked at the end of his life had certain parallels to Bird I think. Garcia looked like he was 20 years older. 

If you ever decide to sell that Europe 72 box, let me know ;)

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have all the official releases now of material from the beginning to the departure of Keith and Donna. . . I just don't listen to material after that, doesn't capture me the way the material before that has.

I'm not a die-hard fan, but do have a good bit by them.  And like you, Keith and Donna are my cutoff point.  Something definitely changed and lost when they left.  If I could only have one GD set, it would be one of the live ones with a looong kick-ass version of "The Other One", as well as some of the "Live/Dead" type stuff. 

54 minutes ago, felser said:

I'm not a die-hard fan, but do have a good bit by them.  And like you, Keith and Donna are my cutoff point.  Something definitely changed and lost when they left.  If I could only have one GD set, it would be one of the live ones with a looong kick-ass version of "The Other One", as well as some of the "Live/Dead" type stuff. 

Prior to meeting Keith and joining The Dead, Donna was a session singer at the Muscle Shoals recording studio in Sheffield, Alabama.  She contributed to songs by Percy Sledge, Elvis and many others including Box Scaggs' seminal recording, of "Loan Me A Dime" the "afterthought" song that put Duane Allman on the map.  Having said that, there's no doubt she was a talented singer and I enjoyed her post-Dead work with her band, The Tricksters, but as a singer with The Dead, she was all but unlistenable.  Consistently off-key, shouting, warbling...I can listen to her for about two minutes before I start looking for a pair of chopsticks to ram in my ears.  I would do just about anything to avoid hearing her ever again sing on "Playin' In The Band".  And, just for the record, I love the Grateful Dead.