What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Dave James said:

Prior to meeting Keith and joining The Dead, Donna was a session singer at the Muscle Shoals recording studio in Sheffield, Alabama.  She contributed to songs by Percy Sledge, Elvis and many others including Box Scaggs' seminal recording, of "Loan Me A Dime" the "afterthought" song that put Duane Allman on the map.  Having said that, there's no doubt she was a talented singer and I enjoyed her post-Dead work with her band, The Tricksters, but as a singer with The Dead, she was all but unlistenable.  Consistently off-key, shouting, warbling...I can listen to her for about two minutes before I start looking for a pair of chopsticks to ram in my ears.  I would do just about anything to avoid hearing her ever again sing on "Playin' In The Band".  And, just for the record, I love the Grateful Dead.

I don't really disagree, yet there was a certain something that got sort of homogenized when Mydland came in.  For that matter, I can't say I've ever been impressed by any of the GD vocalists or their harmonies, all ride on the verge of being "unlistenable" to me (especially Garcia).  My wife thinks they're awful.   And yet I listen, over and over again for 50 years.   That group was always about feel more than anything IMO.   Feel and telepathy and a great bass player.

Edited by felser

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Interesting. I've learned to love the singing of Garcia and Weir. And Lesh is probably my least favorite element of the Dead up through '78, other than the two drummer thing which I'd rather be without.

There's no doubt that The Dead are an acquired taste when it comes to both Jerry's and Bob's vocal work.  But, the more you listen to them, the more you realize that it's a big part of their every man charm.  As to two drummer bands, the Dead, The Allman Brothers, Tedeschi Trucks or anyone else, I'm with you.

1 hour ago, felser said:

I do, always have a lot more than I listen to the Dead, and actually have this Warren Haynes  work on right now:

Image result for gov't mule capitol theater

That's cool, we're all different. I was into them briefly when Duane was alive and a bit after but they just lost me. . . so many rock bands have, I hardly listen to rock any longer, Jimi and the Dead and occasionally a binge on Yes seem to get the most play.

3 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

609E583A-9C20-4ED8-A846-21FF2F740137.jpeg

72602B6F-3F37-40AA-B87D-34463E264B4E.jpeg

This is one of the greatest live 60's rock albums:

R-4407523-1481274986-5247.jpeg.jpg

9 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

That's cool, we're all different. I was into them briefly when Duane was alive and a bit after but they just lost me. . . so many rock bands have, I hardly listen to rock any longer, Jimi and the Dead and occasionally a binge on Yes seem to get the most play.

Interesting history on that group.  They lost me then, also (I can't stand most of "Brothers and Sisters", for instance), but regained me 15 years later when Warren Haynes came into the group and revitalized them.  I consider him the greatest musician to ever come through that group, which has had plenty of great ones (Duane, Gregg, Betts, Derek Trucks, etc.).  Not the original that Duane was, but added onto Duane's work, plus great vocal and songwriting chops.

25 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Lon

I seem to have gone the other way round... after close to 25 years almost exclusively listening to jazz (and a little bit of blues), during the last five years I am getting back to some of my favourite rock bands and even exploring new (to me) music from the last decades and from way back in the 60s: more obscure bands or at least previously unknown to me. The latter is the case for several garage bands, some of which got US-wide coverage back in the second half of the 60s... and some even got a major hit, like the Standells or the Sonics, and the Kingsmen a few years before.

This is not to say that I am not listening to Duke Ellington, James P or Tete anymore! 😊

24 minutes ago, felser said:

This is one of the greatest live 60's rock albums:

R-4407523-1481274986-5247.jpeg.jpg

That one is new to me, I will check. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Gov’t Mule is also a fav here!

Edited by EKE BBB

The Band is releasing on November 15 a 50th anniversary of The Band.  See https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Y97DZYT/ref=tmm_fbs_acd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I took the following from Hoffman:

In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of The Band’s pioneering self-titled album, expanded 50th Anniversary Edition packages will be released on November 15th 2019. Formats include a Super Deluxe CD/Blu-ray/2LP/7-inch vinyl boxed set with book; 2CD, digital, 180-gram 2LP black vinyl, and limited 180-gram 2LP “tiger’s eye” color vinyl. All the Anniversary Edition releases feature a new stereo mix by Bob Clearmountain from the original masters, 13 outtakes (6 unreleased) , and The Band’s Woodstock performance. The box features a hardbound book with an essay by Anthony DeCurtis and classic photos by Elliott Landy, a 5.1 Surround Mix by Clearmountain with mastering by Bob Ludwig, and a reproduction of the 1969 7-inch single for “Rag Mama Rag” / “The Unfaithful Servant”.
Pre- Order Now: The Band (Deluxe Edition/Remixed 2019) by The Band

Here are all the various ways you can purchase the set, The Band 50th Anniversary

The top of the line box set will set you back $150  

Edited by Brad