What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

61Nfo7va5FL._SX466_.jpg

One of the most enjoyable Christmas albums around, not just for their unique interpretations of standards ( such as their "O, Christmas Tree" samba), but also for their fun originals like "Christmas in July" ("Oh we'll spend Yuletide / Down by the poolside") and the oughta-be-a-classic "Santa's Polka" ("Hop step step to the left, hop step step to the right / A Merry Christmas to you all and to you all good night")

Ya gotta love a band that can whip up this kind of Christmas frenzy at an Oktoberfest celebration:

Edited by duaneiac

I watched The Monterey Pop Festival film today.  I had never seen it before. The standout performances for me were Janis Joplin and Big Brother, and the extended Ravi Shankar piece. What marred the movie was its brevity, which made it choppy. I don’t think we’ll ever get an extended film but it would be nice if Rhino could give the Festival the same treatment it gave to Woodstock. Probably never see that either. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I watched The Monterey Pop Festival film today.  I had never seen it before. The standout performances for me were Janis Joplin and Big Brother, and the extended Ravi Shankar piece. What marred the movie was its brevity, which made it choppy. I don’t think we’ll ever get an extended film but it would be nice if Rhino could give the Festival the same treatment it gave to Woodstock. Probably never see that either. 

IIRC There is a 3 disc Criterion set. 

5 hours ago, medjuck said:

IIRC There is a 3 disc Criterion set. 

Thanks for that. A big thanks actually. The one I saw was the original version, around 80 or 90 minutes. I saw the expanded 2017 version has two hours of additional performances including Blues Project, Electric Flag, more Big Brother, etc. so that was an easy decision to order it. 

Edited by Brad

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Thanks for that. A big thanks actually. The one I saw was the original version, around 80 or 90 minutes. I saw the expanded 2017 version has two hours of additional performances including Blues Project, Electric Flag, more Big Brother, etc. so that was an easy decision to order it. 

It's a great set.  Much of the held-back footage is better than much of what is in the movie.  Though the Big Brother "Ball and Chain" will always be the apex for me.  

2 hours ago, felser said:

It's a great set.  Much of the held-back footage is better than much of what is in the movie.  Though the Big Brother "Ball and Chain" will always be the apex for me.  

Ball and Chain is mesmerizing; there is so much feeling and emotion in her performance that you know it comes from deep in the heart. I loved how the camera focused on her legs and feet. 

Yeah ... the Criterion set is great!

Jimi was outstanding of course with this mind blowing performance at the beginning of his career. Everyone's probably seen it by now, especially the guitar burning, but at the time he was single-handedly forging a sea change in rock. And you get his complete set in the box. 

I always liked the Airplane set and nice to see Quicksilver Messenger Service, too.

37 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I always liked the Airplane set

Me too.  Amazing how staid Grace's appearance is compared to Woodstock but they sound great.  The unreleased disc gives a better sense of the breadth of the festival acts.

7 minutes ago, felser said:

Me too.  Amazing how staid Grace's appearance is compared to Woodstock but they sound great.  The unreleased disc gives a better sense of the breadth of the festival acts.

Agreed. Anyone interested in the Monterey Festival should have the box.