What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Honestly, I’d never heard of him until I saw your photo, which intrigued me. Real interesting person. 

Nice photo nevertheless ..... Shreveport was a Southern Soul nucleus in the late 60`s/early 70`s ....

Edited by soulpope

Did you spend time in Shreveport? It was about an hour away from the town where I grew up, actually closer than Dallas. So when the family "went to the city" it was almost always Shreveport. Pluse, we lived there from 1962-1965, my dad worked for Texaco and they had a big office there.

Stan's was one of those record stores that always had records blaring. The Jewel/Paula offices were literally nest door, and there was always a "contingent" of some kind or another around. And it was also, ca. 1971, where I discovered that promo copies were sold in some places for significantly less than list price!

Only saw Stan Lewis in the store a few times, but his brother Ace ran a satellite sore out in the outer city. Ace was a really hip guy, a real jazz fan, and always had good jazz playing in his store on a top-quality system.

I guess Shreveport has been pretty much a broken shadow for several decades now. but between it and the "notorious" Bossier City across the river...there used to be a palpable energy there.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:54 AM, JSngry said:

Did you spend time in Shreveport? It was about an hour away from the town where I grew up, actually closer than Dallas. So when the family "went to the city" it was almost always Shreveport. Pluse, we lived there from 1962-1965, my dad worked for Texaco and they had a big office there.

Stan's was one of those record stores that always had records blaring. The Jewel/Paula offices were literally nest door, and there was always a "contingent" of some kind or another around. And it was also, ca. 1971, where I discovered that promo copies were sold in some places for significantly less than list price!

Only saw Stan Lewis in the store a few times, but his brother Ace ran a satellite sore out in the outer city. Ace was a really hip guy, a real jazz fan, and always had good jazz playing in his store on a top-quality system.

I guess Shreveport has been pretty much a broken shadow for several decades now. but between it and the "notorious" Bossier City across the river...there used to be a palpable energy there.

Unfortunately, no. Been to New Orleans a couple of times. Stan’s must have been a heck of a place. I assume it’s no longer around. 

Ace kept the name alive in a variety of increasingly irrelevant locations for a good while, but the main downtown store closed up sometimes in the late 1970s/early 1980s, if memory serves.

Jazz record trivia - if you wonder about that run of titles by people like James Moody and a few others that got released on Paula, that was part of a deal that Paul Serrano made to distribute sessions he had made on spec. Chuck would know the details better than me (he's who I learned them from, actually), but Prestige was also in the mix, which in retrospect explains why there for a while, the downtown Stan's had promo copies of all the new Prestige albums in their cutout bins. And this was a time when Prestige was crankin' 'em out in good measure, so...I made as many trips to the big city as I could get my parents to make (this was before I was driving).

I get the impression that Stan Lewis was a bit (or more) of a "wheeler-dealer", if you know what I mean. And the whole Jewl/Paula/Ronn thing was still active not TOO terrible long ago. When I went through my period of getting, uh..."certain musics" from truck stops, their product was a big player in that mix. And somewhere, I think I still have a copy of the mail-order catalogue they put out from that same time, which was chock full of musics and videos that I think it's safe to say were not even remotely targeted to any audences other than Southern Black People (And Those Who Knew Them Well).

There's no doubt a story or two (thousand) to be had there, and truthfully, it will most likely never be fully told. It's too regional, too ethnic, and probably too many bodies missing to ever get full sunlight. Which is probably as it should be and was always meant to be.