Joe Farrell Moon Germs & Other CTI Releases

Tom 1960

I imagine he has been discussed here prior and please direct me to a relevant thread if needed. That said, I've enjoyed his past session work and the stuff he did with Elvin Jones on the Mosaic set. I'd like to confine the discussion right now to his CTI releases. I just finished listening to "Moon Germs" which I really enjoyed with some great Herbie on this date. What do you guys think of this and his other releases for the label? I also happened to see the box set available on Amazon which doesn't include "Moon Germs". Is that something worth considering? Thanks for your thoughts.

All shown below are worthwhile (avoid Benson/Farrell).  I recommend springing for the two BGO sets, which include all the titles you need, and will run you about $30 total, better all-around quality than the "Original Album Classics" set, and comparable in price once you add in the sixth title.  The second one is more funk-oriented, with Joe Beck and Herbie Hancock in tow, but of extremely high quality.  None have any CTI orchestration, all are small group sets.  "Follow Your Heart" from the first Quartet album is one of my all-time favorite cuts.

Image result for joe farrell bgo

3 hours ago, felser said:

All shown below are worthwhile (avoid Benson/Farrell).  I recommend springing for the two BGO sets, which include all the titles you need, and will run you about $30 total, better all-around quality than the "Original Album Classics" set, and comparable in price once you add in the sixth title.  The second one is more funk-oriented, with Joe Beck and Herbie Hancock in tow, but of extremely high quality.  None have any CTI orchestration, all are small group sets.  "Follow Your Heart" from the first Quartet album is one of my all-time favorite cuts.

Thanks John. I happened to see both sets on Amazon but when I saw the BGO label I wasn't certain if it was a legit issue or not? It appears correct me if I'm wrong, there are no issues here? I especially have come across many good responses to the first set you cite. 

3 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

Thanks John. I happened to see both sets on Amazon but when I saw the BGO label I wasn't certain if it was a legit issue or not? It appears correct me if I'm wrong, there are no issues here? I especially have come across many good responses to the first set you cite. 

Totally legit and usually very high quality remastering.