Favorite 60's rock band....

Brandon Burke

Name your favorite 60's rock band.....  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quincy -

If I'm not mistaken, your avatar is none other than Reddy Kilowatt.

Yup, that's who it is.

I get the warm fuzzies for that industry spokesman (yes, he's all man) as I used to see him on signs on the way to my grandparents. He's just such a strange little cuss too.

I'm also somewhat jealous of him as he has wall sockets built into his head. However, they come at a heavy price, as they are a substitute for ears! Unless he can hear through them too, then he's one up us.

Here's a link about his creation.

And here's a picture from the Lileks site that I once used for the back cover of Grateful Dead show. One of Phil Lesh's nicknames is Reddy Kilowatt, and though a I'm big fan of the group it has nothing to do with my choice of avatar. More of a Jerry fan myself. ;)

Edited by Quincy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drivin' That Train: for me, the '68-'70 live Dead was DA BOMB. Powerful, dynamic electric improv, subtlety, and blues in 1968-69, and by '70 the shows added more: fine acoustic playing of originals and traditional songs, and more variety in Pigpen's rock n roll boogie. I didn't see the Dead until 1977, and may I say they were quite unbelievable then, and only a fraction of what they were.

Long live San Francisco's Grateful Dead!

Great to see the Hollies and the Move mentioned in this sort of context, even if they're more pop than rock. .

Well, that's what I meant earlier about context/individual perspective/whatever - in the 65-66 period (maybe even into 67), The Hollies WERE considered "rock" and not "pop". "Pop" was stuff like Nancy Sinatra and such. "Rock" as it is seems to be percieved today really didn't exist as a distinct, non-Top 40 genre until Henrdix, Cream, and all the aftermath from the FM radio revolution. Some groups, like Steppenwolf, crossed over and had seperate AM & FM "hits", but up until the floweering of FM, "Rock" & "Top 40" were in no way mutually exclusive, which is why I can put in a plug for Tommy James and the Shondells as another superb 60s rock band, albeit of the AM, singles band variety. That would no doubt be considered "pop" by today's standards, but in its time, it weren't nuthing but "rock"!

"Rock" as it is seems to be percieved today really didn't exist as a distinct, non-Top 40 genre until Henrdix, Cream, and all the aftermath from the FM radio revolution. Some groups, like Steppenwolf, crossed over and had seperate AM & FM "hits", but up until the floweering of FM, "Rock" & "Top 40" were in no way mutually exclusive, which is why I can put in a plug for Tommy James and the Shondells as another superb 60s rock band, albeit of the AM, singles band variety. That would no doubt be considered "pop" by today's standards, but in its time, it weren't nuthing but "rock"!

Ya, you right. As another who spent most of the (later) '60s with a radio glued to my Kiwi ears, it wasn't until way later that I was aware of any alleged difference between Cream and Petula Clark and the Supremes and the Sir Douglas Quintet - it all sounded rockin' to me!

And my vote for the Dead is very much a hindsight thing - I wasn't aware of them in the '60s and saw them only once - Winterland '77.

Edited by kenny weir

And my vote for the Dead is very much a hindsight thing

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, so is my vote for the Kinks. I had no interest in rock at all until 1968 when I heard Lady Madonna. You have no idea how radical that song sounded if you'd grown up in a country/western household with little or no exposure to rock. It sounds awfully tame and contrived now, I guess. But at the time, at least to my ears, it sounded as subversive as anything I could name. Certainly stood out in comparison with supposedly harder groups doing stuff like Hello I Love You and Magic Carpet Ride...

If I had to go by what I actually listened to in the sixties, it would have to be CCR I suppose.

This is really interesting. Obviously, the list I provided is flawed but....hey.....I'm not planning on applying for an NEH grant with these findings so who gives a damn, right. As for non-list suggestions, there's a lot of good ones though I would hardly call The Move comparable to any of the canonical greats. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for breaking down canons but, if that were the case, I would have included the Music Machine, the Soft Machine, the Golliwogs, the Seeds, Kaliedoscope (UK), the Nice, (pre T-Rex) Tyrannosausus Rex, Lee Hazelwood, etc.

I mean, at the end of the day, I listen to the Kinks, Soft Machine, and Lee Hazelwood more than anyone else mentioned but I'd hardly consider the Soft Machine one of the best bands of the 60's because, among other resasons, I only like their first two LPs. But I really like their first two LPs.

Well.....that's why it's fun, right.

Edited by Brandon Burke

As I look over the list again, I'm wondering two things:

1) Why is the overrated, justly obscure band The Pretty Things on this list?

and,

2) How badly am I going to get flamed over this post? :P

Because S.F. Sorrow is one of the best psychedelic rock albums ever and because.......well......they just popped into my head at that moment. :P

Also, most record nerds that I know don't really listen to the canonical "greats". I was curious about how you all would respond. My favorite 60's rock record--hell.....my favorite record ever!--is Would You Believe by Billy Nicholls, which is nowhere near being a classic outside of serious psych circles.

Again, it's just a goofy bulletin board list folks.....

Edited by Brandon Burke

PS - Can anyone recommend some Kinks?

You bet yer ass I can!

Oh; you want names? Well, stick to Lola and older, and there's just no way you can go wrong. Classic stuff!

(And a big wave of the moose's antlers to the other two voters for this group!)

Misfits is another top-notch Kinks title.

Davies is great, but I'd give that honor to Paul Westerberg.

I totally missed what was so great about the Replacements ... I thought they were a good band, but didn't think they stood out in a historical context, if you will. I have to wonder if they came up at a different time if they would have gotten the same acclaim.

On the other hand, now I've got that nutty "Dyslexic Heart" tune stuck in my head and I can't make it stop.

Davies is great, but I'd give that honor to Paul Westerberg.

I totally missed what was so great about the Replacements ... I thought they were a good band, but didn't think they stood out in a historical context, if you will. I have to wonder if they came up at a different time if they would have gotten the same acclaim.

On the other hand, now I've got that nutty "Dyslexic Heart" tune stuck in my head and I can't make it stop.

You really need to listen to their lyrics. Westerberg's selection of topics, use of double entendres and dark humor, all done tongue-in-cheek are unsurpassed IMHO. Just listen to songs like Answering Machine, Swinging Party, Androgynous, I Will Dare, Sixteen Blue, Alex Chilton, etc, etc..

You really need to listen to their lyrics.  Westerberg's selection of topics, use of double entendres and dark humor, all done tongue-in-cheek are unsurpassed IMHO.

I know someone (besides myself) who would disagree ...

Edited by Chrome

Westerberg was indeed a great songwriter. I haven't kept up with his post-Replacements work, so I can't speak to that... but I recently revisited his 1980s material and it held up quite well, IMO.

Re: the poll, my fave was the Velvet Underground, but I didn't feel inclined to choose "someone else," so I cast my lot with the Byrds.

I love the ear candy every bit as much as much as the grit, I guess because the yin/yang balance was so perfect during that era, or so it seems through the lens of youthful omnivourousness that still has not been sated.

You said a mouthful!

So on this list we've got the Rutles, who were not a real group and from the 70's, but we are missing The Velvet Undrground (from the 60's, very influential, REAL). Hmmm....

For me it's a tossup between The Remains, The Big Three, VU, CCR, and the Beatles. So of course I voted for The Zombies. ;)

Manfred Mann.

Don't be fooled by their hit singles, which were their worst stuff in my view. They were a blues band with rockin' renditions of Call It Stormy Monday, Got My Mojo Workin' and the like.

I still remember being blown away by the first album of theirs I heard, their third LP called My Little Red Book of Winners. Not an American hit on it, but one of my desert island discs.